A car battery forms the soul of a car. It powers many functions including windows, door lock systems, audio system, and car lights. Waking up to a dead battery can be a nightmare to any driver regardless of the type of vehicle.
Car audio batteries enable the sound system to deliver its best potential. Music from the system becomes louder, deeper, and clearer. When the battery is added as an auxiliary battery, it helps to prevent drain on the starter battery. Thus, you reduce the chances of experiencing a dead starter battery. It also helps to avoid other electrical issues, including dimming headlights and slow windows.
While it’s a fact that no battery lasts forever, a car audio battery of excellent quality, and one that is well-maintained, will give you satisfactory service. This guide focuses on finding the best car audio battery on the market.
CA: Cranking Amperage
CCA: Cold Cranking Amperage
Starting from our #1 car audio battery, we now review all the six products systematically.
Comparison Table of Best Car Audio Battery
1. ACDelco ACDB24R
We kick off our review with a car audio battery from one of the most trusted brands in the car battery industry. The ACDB24R is a 12V battery with 70 minutes reserve capacity and 390amps cranking amperage. It weighs 28.8 pounds. The battery has unique features that showcase ACDelco’s relentless effort to maintain leadership in the industry.
Features of ACDelco ACDB24R
- Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) design: ACDelco has used AGM technology to seal the battery completely and eliminate chances of spills or leakages. The battery’s design is such that the electrolyte is permanently contained in the glass mat separator. This is unlike other battery designs where the electrolyte moves from cell to another, which leaves an opportunity for spills or leakage.
- Valve-controlled gas recombinant technology: The battery’s leak-proof pressurized system continuously prevents damage due to acid. It also ensures that the battery doesn’t dry out. In effect, the system helps to maintain the life span of the battery. Besides, automatic discharge is reduced significantly. The stereo battery can stay charged for long even when stored.
- Higher cranking amp: The starting power of a car battery goes down as time passes, especially during the cold seasons. Higher cranking amp means more engine starting power. With this ACDelco battery, you will be confident that your engine will start without any problems.
- Silver/calcium alloy for increased conductivity: Besides using positive and negative calcium plates (these reduce the rate of power discharge when the battery is not in use) the ACDB24R features a silver/calcium alloy that acts as a cathode for reducing internal resistance and optimizing the battery’s conductivity. This implies increased audio power back up.
- 100% leak-proof and spill-proof design
- Outstanding cranking power
- Maintenance-free operation; you don’t need to keep adding water
- Reputable manufacturer
- The battery lasts 3 times longer than traditional car batteries
- Very affordable price
- Small in size and thus not suitable for users looking for bigger options
- Only works perfectly for the recommended car model – Toyota Prius
Our verdict: ACDelco has a century-long experience in manufacturing automotive equipment. As the true General Motors Original Equipment parts brand, the manufacturer is relied upon by millions of GM customers for provision of high quality products.
Order the ACDB24R car audio battery sure of getting great value from its brilliant features.
2. Optima Batteries 8171-767 (DS46B24R)
Popularly known as the Optima YellowTop, the DS46B24R is ideal for starting and deep cycle power as well as car audio power. It is a truly dual-purpose automotive battery with excellent cycling capability. If you own an accessory-loaded vehicle, don’t look further than this Optima battery. It works like a horse to power all your electronics. We loved its consistent power output and fast recharge time.
Highlights of Optima DS46B24R
- Optima’s SpiralCell technology: Individual spiral-wound cells with two pure lead plates make the negative and positive terminals of this battery. This technology is attained through a precision-controlled manufacturing process. The aim is to maintain reliable performance in extreme temperatures, and this explains why this battery is used in many high-demand applications.
- Unstoppable power: Optima DS46B24R is the ultimate power source for many users. The battery has premium cranking power and unrivaled rechargeability. Optima claims that the battery can be recharged more than 300 times. In addition, its low internal resistance makes it the best car audio battery for vehicles with multiple electronics or an advanced audio system.
- Absorbed Glass Mat technology: Optima utilized AGM technology to make the battery lighter, more tolerant of deep discharge, and maintenance-free. And like other AGM car batteries, the DS46B24R YellowTop is spill-proof and leak-free. You can install it in any suitable location without any worries of damage.
- Extreme vibration resistance: If you like off-road driving or cranking up the bass, this battery is a great addition to your car’s power system. It has an internal resistance of 0.0046, and it can tolerate extreme vibration. There is no type of rough handling that can be too much for the DS46B24R. It will survive the shocks and continue powering your systems faithfully.
- Unparalleled deep-cycle and cranking power
- Longer, maintenance-free life
- Super-fast recharging
- Efficient vibration safeguards
- Tamper-resistant, highly durable build
- Fits easily in most battery compartments
- Lower reserve capacity compared to other competitors
- Plastic top can be scratched easily
Our say: This car battery is ideal for heavy-duty applications – from diesel powered vehicles and dedicated drag racers to racing cars without a charging system. Its terminals work with the majority of American and European car brands.
Does your vehicle have many factory electronics? Let Optima DS46B24R power these functions and give you the best experience.
3. Odyssey PC680
This Best Seller is a great alternative to conventional deep cycle batteries. You can rely on it for provision of stable voltage over long periods. Besides, the battery can really take a beating thanks to its extreme temperature tolerance, protection against mechanical vibration and resistance to high-impact shock.
Features of Odyssey PC680
- Pure lead plates for high, consistently stable power: With up to 400 cycles at 80 percent depth of discharge, the PC680 is surely in a league of its own. The use of thin, densely-packed pure lead plates explains the battery’s ability to produce twice the overall power of conventional batteries.
- Non-spillage AGM and valve-regulated lead acid (VRLA) technologies: Not many car audio batteries combine these two technologies. Odyssey has been keen on making the PC680 a dual battery – one with impressive cranking power as well as deep-cycle reserve power. Further, this Odyssey battery is protected against shock and vibration, which are among the most common causes of battery damage.
- Rugged construction: To withstand encounters on the road, the PC680 is made with a strong and sturdy exterior. This design feature complements the sealed design of the battery to make an overall structure that is highly flexible when it comes to installation.
- High recharge efficiency: Odyssey claims that this battery has the highest recharge efficiency compared to other sealed lead batteries. A full recharge takes only 4-6 hours. Hence, we think of it as the best battery for users who like listening to music when the car engine is off.
- High voltage output for extended periods
- 70% longer lifecycle
- Quick recharge
- Completely sealed for no spillage and installation flexibility
- High resistance to mechanical vibrations and extreme temperatures
- 170 cold cranking amps is not ideal for extremely low temperatures
- Not a great starter battery for big vehicles
Verdict: Looking for a powerful and long-lasting car audio battery that can withstand constant pounding typical of driving sport vehicles? Odyssey PC680 is a great option. It offers incredible value for the price.Choose Odyssey PC680 for steady high-voltage output that lasts many hours.
4. Battle Born LiFePO4
Are you planning to add a second battery in your car? Check out this 100Ah, 12V rechargeable lithium iron phosphate deep cycle battery from Battle Born Batteries. The LiFePO4 is designed to fit many applications, including RV/camper, overland/van, off grid, and marine applications.
Unique features of Battle Born LiFePO4
- This one packs loads of power – 100 amperes continuous output and 200 amp surge output. This is equivalent to a 140-lbs lead acid battery, but it can last up to 10 times longer.
- Li-ion technology: You get to enjoy the benefits of li-ion technology over lead acid batteries. Li-ion batteries are more cost effective. At the current price of this LiFePO4 battery, you would rarely find a lead acid battery with comparable longevity. Besides, you are free to choose your desired installation location thanks to the battery’s unlimited mounting capabilities.
- It comes with an integrated battery management system (BMS), which regulates the amount of power discharged. This serves to protect the battery against common causes of battery failure, such as ground faults and temperature volatility. The system also shuts off the battery in case it is put into unsafe operating conditions, further providing protection for the li-ion cells as well as the user.
- 100% safe, nontoxic, green energy: Battle Born Batteries makes renewable green energy batteries that can charge and discharge quickly. These batteries also last for more cycles, further reinforcing the idea of energy conservation. Renewable green batteries are quickly gaining popularity because they are simply better than other car audio battery types.
- Lightweight and highly versatile design
- Long lifespan – 3,000-5,000 cycles
- Innovative system for battery protection
- Automatic cell balancing for optimal charge and discharge
- It holds a charge for about one year without needing a trickle charger
- The battery management system does not allow the battery to charge below 25 degrees
- Higher price than competition
Our say: The LiFePO4 has proven to be a reliable, zero-maintenance car battery. It charges very fast, and this assures you of high voltage output at your convenience. It’s also satisfying to know that you are using a battery that’s friendly to the environment.
Power your car audio system with this Battle Born green battery for better quality sound.
5. XS Power D3400
With a 3300-amp output, this battery is a powerful auxiliary battery. It’s ideal for supplementing the starter battery, but it can also start the engine. If you have or are planning to install a high-performance car audio system (with up to 3500w power handling), XS Power D3400 is the right car audio battery to complete your upgrade.
Features of XS Power D3400
- 1000 cranking Amps with a max output of 3300 Amps: Undoubtedly, the D3400 has the muscle to handle engines. You can use it to replace the factory battery, or add it as a secondary battery for car audio. It works best with aftermarket sound systems with between 2500w and 3500w power handling.
- 65 amp-hours discharge capacity: This reserve capacity is quite decent and impressive to many users. The battery stores so much energy that you wouldn’t necessarily have to install a capacitor to achieve uninterrupted amplifier performance.
- Mounting flexibility: XS Power has designed the D3400 with a leak-proof structure. The cell doesn’t have any external vents, and as such it can be mounted in various locations (in the trunk, glove compartment, or below the seat) without any leakage issues. Further, the battery’s exterior is made of reinforced ABS plastic that can withstand vibration and extreme heat.
- Low internal resistance: As expected of a high-power car battery, the D3400 has low internal resistance to ensure that there is minimal heat buildup. Also, the battery is able to deliver the required power spikes without showing the ‘low battery’ indication. Low internal resistance significantly increases the battery’s runtime and overall lifespan.
- High power output
- Completely sealed and spill-proof design
- Ultra-low internal resistance
- Can be mounted in any location in the car
- Tough and durable build
- It can work in extremely tough weather and topographic conditions
- Heavier than most comparable car batteries
- Battery posts are not included so they must be bought separately
Verdict: XS Power D3400 is for individuals undertaking major upgrades to their car’s electrical and audio systems. The battery produces astounding power and it’s made to fit the most rigorous applications.
Don’t hesitate to purchase XS Power D3400 if high-power performance is what you are after.
6. FirePower HJTZ5S-FP-IL
Closing our list of best car audio battery today is this exceptionally lightweight lithium battery for car and motorbike applications. The HJTZ5S-FP-IL brings to the table quality construction and consistency in power performance. What’s more? See the highlights below:
Highlights of FirePower HJTZ5S-FP-IL
- Lithium Ion Polymer technology: Lithium polymer batteries are generally very lightweight and pliable. They can be designed into any size and shape. Besides, they are incredibly resistant to damage. The HJTZ5S-FP-IL can be banged around without any worry of physical trauma. Many users prefer it for motorcycle battery because it’s about 70% lighter than standard lead acid and AGM batteries.
- Increased cranking amps: Despite its smaller and lighter design compared to lead acid batteries, the HJTZ5S-FP-IL packs more cold cranking amps. FirePower states that its cycle life is 6 to 12 times more, and it has a long shelf life (up to 12 months before requiring recharging). Also noteworthy, the battery can acquire 90% charge in only 6 minutes.
- Balancer built in: If you thought you’ve seen all the unique aspects of FirePower HJTZ5S-FP-IL, hold on for more. When you want to recharge this battery, you will not go through the trouble of looking for a charger that has a balancer. FirePower has fitted a balancer on the battery so you can use any charger. The balancer ensures that all the lithium cells receive an even charge.
- Built-in LED test gauge: It’s always good to know the state of your battery, and FirePower has made this effortless for you. The LED test gauge shows you the amount of power remaining in your battery, allowing you to utilize the available power wisely as you plan for the next recharge.
- Zero maintenance
- Small, lightweight design that fits in tight spots
- Impressive cranking power of 120 CC Amps
- Durable design that’s highly resistant to physical abuse
- Can be installed almost anywhere
- Lower amp-hour capacity compared to bigger car batteries
- Not suitable for vehicles with many accessories
Verdict: Do you need a car audio battery just to keep your car stereo going? Or do you have a bike that doesn’t draw much power? This budget friendly battery is a good option.
Pick this featherweight and inexpensive battery for low-demand car or motorbike applications.
Key considerations to make when choosing the best car audio battery
Investing in the right brand and type of car audio battery is critical to achieving the audio quality goals one has set to achieve. Whether you are replacing your factory battery or adding an auxiliary battery, there are a few factors you need to consider to ensure that you make an excellent choice.
Reserve capacity (RC)
This is the length of time (in minutes) that the battery can provide 25 amperes at 10.5 volts.
Why is reserve capacity important?
When a vehicle starts, the battery pushes out 25 amps at 10.5 volts until the alternator starts to run. As the alternator assumes responsibility for powering the engine, the battery steadily provides the same amount of energy to other electrical accessories such as lights and wipers. If the alternator is not in good condition, the car runs solely on battery power. A battery with good reserve capacity enables the car to continue running. You don’t get stuck just because the alternator isn’t working. Besides, the battery can drive the audio system for longer when the engine is off.
A battery’s cranking power is indicated by two ratings – Cranking Amps (CA) and Cold Cranking Amps (CCA). CA refers to the energy needed to start a vehicle at 32 degrees Fahrenheit. CCA refers to the battery’s ability to start a car at zero degrees Fahrenheit. Cranking Amps are relevant for hot climates while Cold Cranking Amps are important when choosing the right car audio battery for cold climates.
Redtop versus Yellowtop car audio battery
Redtop batteries produce a high burst of starter energy, last a longer time, and recharge quickly. They are mainly used as starter batteries. While the batteries can work with factory audio systems, their design doesn’t support multiple electronic devices.
On the other hand, Yellowtop batteries are designed to work with car speakers, amps, and non-audio systems and devices including cameras and GPS. In addition, most of these batteries are vibration-resistant and last longer than redtops. Thus, Yellowtop batteries can be installed in many suitable locations within the car.
Sealed versus non-sealed batteries
Non-sealed batteries have caps that allow for addition of water to cool the battery. They are the better option for places that experience high temperatures.
Sealed batteries require less maintenance. It’s challenging to add water into sealed batteries so they are not ideal for use in warm climates.
Battery lifespan and warranty
A battery’s lifespan depends on its use. Generally, good car audio batteries last between 3 and 5 years. The sooner it dies, the sooner you have to replace it. You want to choose a battery that lasts long. Checking the age of the battery is a crucial step. It’s recommendable to buy batteries that are not older than 6 months from the manufacture date.
Also crucial to consider is the manufacturer’s warranty. On average, replacement warranty for car audio batteries is 3 years.
Can the battery fit in the desired mounting space? Some batteries only fit perfectly in specific vehicle models. Others are universal and fit in most modern vehicles. It is inherent to choose the best fitting car battery size to avoid issues of incompatibility and the need to make adjustments to the installation space.
Why ACDelco ACDB24R is our top pick for best car audio battery
After making comparisons among all the six top performing car audio batteries, we were convinced that ACDelco ACDB24R is the best performer.
This car audio battery is built precisely with high cycling capabilities to match the power needs of all Toyota Prius models. The terminals are designed for efficient voltage conductivity and user safety. The ACDB24R is one of the safest automotive batteries on the market.
In addition, this vastly capable battery is completely leak-proof. Coupling this aspect with its durable build, ACDelco has achieved outstanding battery longevity (up to three times the life of a traditional lead acid battery). This also means you can place the battery in any location without any worries of physical damage.
We think that the value this battery provides is worth its current price. Anyone with a Prius model will reap great benefits from installing ACDelco ACDB24R Advantage AGM Automotive BCI Group 51 battery in their car.
Michael Evanchuk is a San Francisco-based sound engineer with 20 years’ experience installing, troubleshooting, and repairing commercial, automotive, and household sound equipment. Evanchuk owns an auto stereo center, where he offers highly competitive car audio installation and repair services. He has written dozens of articles on different sound engineering topics, all of which have been published in leading journals, blogs, and websites.