Factory car speakers hardly offer the best sound quality. They often lack clarity and distort at high volume. The best solution toward improving the sound quality of your car is to replace factory speakers with high-quality aftermarket speakers. But what speaker size should you install? If you’re building a custom car sound system, consider installing the best 4×10 speakers. These speakers feature a long but narrow shape that allows them to fit into spaces where larger speakers such as 6.5 car speakers can’t fit. As such, they’re a perfect choice for installation in cars with limited space.
While 4×10 replacement speakers are a great choice, not all of them are made equal. Some brands may not deliver the kind of performance you want. There’re several considerations you should make when shopping for 4×10 speakers to stand better chances of making the right choice. If you’re getting overwhelmed by the numerous choices available, read on through this guide for reviews of the best options and how to make the best choice.
Top Six 4×10 Speakers
We’ve compiled a list of the top-quality 4×10 speakers. The speakers we’ve reviewed offer excellent sound quality. We’ve put together their best features, including what you may not like with each speaker.
1. Best Choice: Planet Audio TRQ413
Planet Audio is among the best car speaker brands. Their speakers are available at a good price with good quality. The Planet Audio TRQ413 4×10 inch speakers come as a pair of 3-way speakers. These speakers are our best choice overall.
- Aluminum voice coil- These speakers from Planet Audio are specially made with an aluminum voice coil. The main benefit of aluminum voice coils is that they’re able to withstand extremely high temperatures. Their excellent fatigue properties also make them perform efficiently under heavy usage. Thus, they’re not affected by prolonged music playtime.
- Butyl rubber surround- The speakers come with a butyl rubber surround. Butyl rubber is a form of synthetic rubber. It’s able to withstand exposure to harsh weather elements. Also, it’s lightweight but highly flexible, making it a perfect material for making a speaker surround. It allows the speaker cone to move effortlessly.
- Injection-molded poly cone- The speaker cone is made of an injection-molded poly cone. The polymer material is extremely rigid but lightweight. It’s resilient and flexible. It doesn’t fail easily, even at high volume levels.
- Stamped speaker basket- Each speaker in the pair comes with a stamped speaker basket. The basket is designed for enhanced strength. It’s extremely strong and durable. It keeps the speaker components protected from damage.
- 3-way speaker system- The speakers are designed as 3-way speakers. Each speaker has a woofer driver, tweeter, and super tweeter. Thus, the speakers deliver full-range sound including bass, midrange, highs, and super highs.
- 400 watts max and 200 watts RMS
- 70 Hz – 20 kHz frequency response
- Mylar tweeters
- Clear and loud sound
- High-quality construction
- They pop at high volume
- The highs are brighter than lows
If you’re looking for 4×10 speakers that have a balance between quality and price, then you won’t go wrong by choosing the Planet Audio TRQ413 car speakers.
2. Best Value: BOSS Audio Systems CH4330
BOSS Audio boasts of manufacturing some of the best car audio systems, including speakers. These speakers are designed to deliver a smooth sound response. They come as a pair and are made of durable materials.
- Piezoelectric tweeter- One of the most outstanding features of these pair of speakers is the piezoelectric tweeter. The tweeter features a semi-dome design that allows for wider sound dispersion. That way, you’ll enjoy a wider sweet spot.
- Rubber surround- The speaker comes with a rubber surround that’s specially made to resist exposure to weather elements. It’s also impermeable to air. The rubber surround is extremely lightweight and flexible such that it allows for a smooth sound response. Also, it’s extremely durable for many years of use without tear and wear.
- Polyurethane cone- Each speaker comes with a polyurethane injection cone. The cone looks very attractive, thanks to its red color. The cone material allows for the production of high clarity sound.
- High-temperature voice coil- The speakers are made with a high-temperature voice coil. The voice coil can perform efficiently under high temperatures. That way, it’s able to withstand prolonged use at high volume without breaking down.
- High power handling- Both speakers have a collective power rating of 200 watts RMS and 400 watts peak power. You can power them with an external amplifier at a safe volume without distorting.
- Shallow mounting depth (2.4 inches)
- Stamped basket structure
- Easy to mount
- 3-way full-range speakers
- Durable construction
- Not very loud
- They tend to distort at high volume
Overall, the BOSS Audio Systems CH4330 car speakers are specially designed for the best value of your money, thanks to their high performance and affordability.
3. Best Budget Option: Pyle PL410BK
Pyle is a brand name you’ll hardly fail to come across when searching for high-quality speakers. They’re great for mounting on the door or side panel. Their black color finish makes them ideal for installation in any interior car décor.
- ¾ inch tweeters- Each speaker features a ¾ inch piezoelectric tweeter. The tweeter has the potential to handle a lot of power, even without a crossover. Also, the piezoelectric tweeter is resistant to overload. It’s able to handle high volume without the highs distorting.
- ASV voice coil- The speakers feature a dual ¾ inch ASV voice coil. The voice coil tolerates high-temperature for reliable heavy usage. Also, it resists corrosion for longevity in harsh weather conditions.
- Shallow mounting depth- The 4” x 10” speakers feature a mounting depth of 2.52 inches. They can fit in most cars on the side panel or door. In fact, they fit effortlessly in most OEM locations.
- Easy to install- The speakers come with mounting hardware for easier installation. Also, speaker wires are provided for easier connection to the sound source. The speakers also come with grilles for enhanced protection.
- High-quality sound output- Another feature that makes them one of the best 4×10 speakers is their high-quality sound output. The speakers come with a total power rating of 150 watts RMS and 300 watts peak power at an impedance of 4 ohms. Thus, you’ll enjoy rich sound from these compact coaxial speakers.
- 1 inch neodymium dome midrange driver
- Non-fatiguing rubber surround
- Rubber boot magnet
- 3-way speaker system
- Poly injection speaker cone
- Not the best for bass lovers
- May crackle when connected to a powerful amp
The Pyle PL410BK pair of car stereo speakers are the best budget option, especially for someone looking for high-quality but affordable 4×10 speakers.
4. Best Average Price: CERWIN-Vega Mobile H7410 HED
These 4” by 10” speakers from CERWIN-Vega come as a pair of 2-way full-range speakers. Their clarity and loudness make them a worthy consideration when shopping for replacement speakers that can fit in just about any car.
- Vented speaker basket- The speakers come with a vented basket. The vented speaker design allows for airflow around the speaker components. That way, the speaker components remain cool during heavy usage. Also, the speaker basket is made of stamped steel for enhanced strength and durability.
- Graphite injected polypropylene cone- Another top feature of this speaker is its graphite injected polypropylene cone. Graphite injection makes the cone stronger and stiffer for enhanced performance at high volume. The composite material also increases the cone’s durability.
- Linear-woven spiders- The speakers are quite unique in that they feature linear-woven spiders. These spiders are advantageous in that their stiffness increases constantly with increasing excursion. Consequently, there’s lower distortion at high volume.
- Premium quality surround- The surround that comes with this speaker is made of a premium rubber surround. The rubber material is highly flexible but lightweight and durable. Its premium quality allows for enhanced sound clarity.
- Wide frequency range- These pair of speakers come as 2-way speakers featuring a woofer cone and a 1-inch dome tweeter. Together, the speaker drivers deliver full-range sound within the range of 75 Hz to 20 kHz.
- Balanced dome tweeter design
- 100 watts RMS and 320 watts peak power
- 2.47 inches mounting depth
- Mounting hardware is included
- Great speaker construction
- Not very powerful
- Doesn’t come with grilles
The ease of installing these CERWIN-Vega Mobile H7410 HED 4” by 10” speakers make it a perfect choice for DIY installation. They’re also great for a flush-mounted installation.
5. Best Premium Choice: KICKER 47KSC41004 KS Series
These KS Series 4”x10” speakers from Kicker are packed with 150 watts peak power and 75 watts RMS. The speakers are made with innovative voice coils, cones, and crossovers. They’re a premium upgrade to low-performance factory speakers.
- Dampened cone- The speakers come with internally dampened poly cones. The cones are dampened to deliver a smooth sound response with minimal distortion, especially when playing music at high volume.
- Silk tweeter- The tweeter in each speaker is made of top-quality silk material. Silk tweeters produce natural highs. Also, the tweeters produce detailed highs for an improved listening experience.
- Easy to install- The shallow mounting depth of 2.38 inches and their overall low profile design makes it possible to install these speakers in almost any car. The tweeters feature an almost zero protrusion design, making it possible to install them flush to the car panel. This also makes it easier to cover them with grilles.
- Neodymium tweeter magnet- Another benefit of these speakers is that the tweeters are made of neodymium magnets. The magnets are small-sized and lightweight. Also, the magnets are very powerful for enhanced reproduction of highs.
- Durable construction- The speaker components are made of top-quality materials, including the durable rubber surround and the vented speaker basket. The overall construction of the speakers allows for enhanced durability.
- ½ inch silk dome tweeters
- Speaker wire is included
- Mounting hardware is included
- Full range sound
- 45 Hz to 20 Hz frequency range
- Higher price range
- Grilles are sold separately
The KICKER 47KSC41004 KS Series 4 by 10-inch replacement speakers are a perfect choice for audiophiles who like premium-quality speakers.
6. Best Coaxial Speakers: Pioneer TS-A4103
These speakers are designed to outperform most stock speakers. They feature independent tweeters and reinforced woofer cones. Their cones are larger than those of similar 4×10 OEM speakers. They can handle up to 35 watts RMS and 120 watts peak power.
- Composite cone- The speaker cone is made with composite injected molded polypropylene. The composite material is further blended with carbon fiber to increase its rigidity and strength. That way, the speaker can deliver rich sound from a low-profile speaker design.
- Inbuilt crossover- This pair of speakers come with inbuilt crossovers. The crossovers filter frequencies to ensure that the tweeter and woofer cone only reproduce frequencies within their range. As a result, the speakers deliver accurate lows, highs, and midrange.
- Paper cone tweeters- The tweeters are made of paper cone material. The Paper cone is stiff and extremely lightweight. The tweeter design allows it to reproduce accurate highs.
- Wide frequency range- Another notable benefit of these speakers is that they reproduce sound within a wide frequency range. They have a frequency range of 38 Hz to 23 kHz. Thus, they’re able to cover most sound details including extreme lows, midrange, and extreme highs.
- Urethane surround- These speakers are unique in that their surround is made with urethane material. Urethane is more flexible than regular rubber material. Also, urethane is weather-resistant for enhanced durability.
- Strontium magnets
- Comes with mounting hardware
- An installation guide is included
- Great for mounting on the rear deck
- Not very loud
- They can’t handle a lot of power
These Pioneer TS-A4103 coaxial speakers stand out for their wide frequency range, making them perfect for getting all music details.
How to Choose the Best 4×10 Speakers
Upon deciding that it’s time to upgrade your car speakers, and you’ve settled on 4×10 inch speakers, there’re certain factors you should consider when shopping. Here’re the main considerations to make to stand better chances of choosing the best 4”x10” car speakers.
1. Power handling
The power handling of a speaker is one of the most important factors to consider. Power handling is given in the form of RMS and peak power rating. The RMS power rating is the most important rating as it describes the maximum amount of continuous power that the speaker can handle safely. On the other hand, peak power is the maximum power that a speaker can handle in short power bursts. Basically, the RMS power rating determines how powerful a speaker is. Ensure the speaker you choose can match the power produced by the amplifier or car receiver. Avoid overpowering or underpowering the speakers.
2. Speaker type
Most 4×10 replacement speakers come as either 2-way or 3-way speakers. A 2-way speaker comes with two drivers including a tweeter and woofer. On the other hand, 3-way speakers come with three drivers including a woofer, tweeter, and mid-range drivers. While both types of speakers reproduce full-range sound, 3-way speakers often offer more precise sound as they’re able to cover a wider frequency range.
3. Construction materials
Ensure the speaker is made of durable materials. For instance, the surround and cone should be made of light but stiff materials. The materials should be able to withstand harsh weather conditions. Also, the voice coil should be made of a material that can withstand high temperatures. The speaker basket should be vented to allow for free air circulation.
The sensitivity rating of a speaker refers to the amount of sound that a speaker reproduces from the power it receives from an amplifier or receiver. If your receiver or amplifier has a low power output, then ensure the speakers you choose have high sensitivity to reproduce sufficient sound. On the other hand, if your receiver or amplifier has a high power output, choose speakers with a low sensitivity rating for the best sound reproduction.
Replacing dull factory speakers with 4×10 aftermarket speakers is a great way of improving your car sound system. However, this can only be possible by choosing the best 4×10 speakers. Ensure the speakers you choose can meet your sound needs. Also, keep these reviews and guide in mind to stand better chances of getting the best value of your money when shopping for replacement speakers.
Michael Evanchuk is a San Francisco-based sound engineer with 20 years’ experience installing, troubleshooting, and repairing commercial, automotive, and household sound equipment. Evanchuk owns an auto stereo center, where he offers highly competitive car audio installation and repair services. He has written dozens of articles on different sound engineering topics, all of which have been published in leading journals, blogs, and websites.