Today, there’re dozens of speaker brands to choose from. Some offer superb performance while others are not what an audiophile would want. As a serious audiophile, you definitely want to go with a brand that can make a statement. One of the most popular speaker brands today is Cerwin Vega. The brand has been around for several decades now. Founded in 1954, Cerwin Vega was initially known as Vega Laboratories. It has experienced numerous name changes throughout its history. Today, it goes by the name Cerwin-Vega.
Cerwin Vega specializes in producing car audio equipment. The company is considered one of the best car speaker manufacturers. Its speakers are known to feature innovative technologies that have earned the brand a huge following and respect among many audiophiles. If you’re yet to make up your mind on the speaker brand to choose from, here’re some reviews on the best Cerwin Vega speakers available today that will convince you they’re indeed worth investing in.
Quick Comparison Table
Top 7 Cerwin Vega Speakers
Wondering which Cerwin Vega speaker to pick when shopping for new car speakers? Considering the numerous models to choose from, you’ll want to be sure that you’re making the right choice. Here’re some of the best options to pick from, including some of the best vintage Cerwin Vega speakers.
1. Best Overall- CERWIN-Vega H7410
- 4" X 10"
- 320W max
- Stamped-steel vented-airflow Basket frames
CERWIN-Vega H7410 is our best overall pick. They come as a pair of coaxial car speakers measuring 4 by 10 inches. They’re a little larger than our second pick, CERWIN-VEGA H746, which measures 4 by 6 inches. As a pair, they’re perfect for installation as the right and left speakers for an enhanced sound experience in your car. They’re available as 2-way speakers featuring a woofer driver and a tweeter driver.
- Treated spiders- The speakers come with treated spiders. They’re treated to enhance their elasticity, making it easier for the cone to move back and forth when playing music without stressing the spiders. Also, the spiders feature a linear-woven design, which allows them to maintain tension on the voice coil while still allowing the voice coil to move effortlessly.
- Graphite-injected cone- Another top feature of these speakers is their graphite-injected cone. Graphite injection makes the cone stronger and stiffer than a standard poly cone. Also, it enhances the stability of the cone when pushing it to its limits. Besides, it enhances the durability of the cone.
- Vented basket- The speakers come with vented stamped-steel baskets. The vented design of the basket allows for maximum airflow around the speaker components, thereby keeping the components cool when pushing the speakers for long playtimes. Also, the stamped-steel basket resists corrosion
- Dome tweeters- The speakers feature a 1-inch dome tweeter. The design of the dome tweeters allows for a wider dispersion of high frequencies to cover a larger listening area. They sound very bright and loud.
- Premium rubber surround- Another great feature of these speakers is their premium quality rubber surround. The rubber surround is flexible to allow the cone to move effortlessly. Also, it’s very durable, thanks to its high-grade rubber material.
- Has a top mounting depth of 2.47 inches for easier installation
- A wide frequency response range of between 75 Hz to 20 kHz for enhanced full-range sound
- Each speaker outputs 50 watts RMS and 320 watts max for decent audio volume
- Loud sound output with great clarity across the supported frequency range
- Installation hardware is provided, including mounting clips, mounting screws, and speaker cable
- Not ideal for shallow mount installations
- Not the best for bass
Considering their mounting depth, these CERWIN-Vega H7410 speakers may not fit flush on some doors. Thus, they’re more suitable for mounting on the dash.
2. Affordable Pick- CERWIN-VEGA H746
- Cerwin Vega HED 4"X 6" 2-way coaxial speaker set - 275W...
CERWIN-VEGA H746 speakers are our second-best pick. In fact, they’re the most affordable speakers from Cerwin Vega in our review. They’re available as 2-way coaxial speakers, featuring a tweeter and a woofer driver. They come as a pair of speakers for improved sound output in your car. The speakers have a shallower mounting depth of 1.811 inches than our first pick that has a mounting depth of 2.47 inches.
- Balanced dome tweeter- The speakers come with 1-inch balanced dome tweeters. The balanced dome design allows it to radiate treble more widely for a larger sweet spot. Also, the tweeter is less rigid such that the treble doesn’t sound fatiguing. Also, the low profile 1-inch tweeter size makes it less susceptible to damage when mounted in a tight mounting location.
- Full range sound- Want to enjoy listening to most music details in your favorite playlist? These speakers will do exactly that. They come as 2-way speakers for a full-range sound experience. They reproduce sound within a frequency range of 90 Hz to 18 kHz.
- Mesh tweeter grill- Another reason why you’ll want to consider these speakers is that they come with mesh grills for covering the dome tweeters. The mesh grill keeps the tweeters protected from damage by foreign objects.
- Mica-injected cone- The speakers come with a mica-injected polypropylene cone. Mica injection makes the speaker rigid while still maintaining lightness to allow for superior frequency response even when using digital sources that feature quick sound frequency transients.
- Easy installation- Another great advantage you’ll get with these speakers is their speaker basket design. The speaker basket is designed for effortless mounting without the need to make new speaker holes. The speaker basket has several holes for inserting mounting screws and is designed in such a way that it can fit in many shapes and sizes of mounting locations.
- Rubber surround for enhanced cone vibrations and durability
- Black anodized metallic dome tweeter for enhanced performance in producing clear highs
- Vented steel frame for enhanced air circulation and durability
- 30 watts RMS power output each and 200 watts max each for decent sound output
- Treated red spiders that allow for enhanced cone movement and keeping the voice coil properly centered
- Bass tends to get distorted at high volume
- The speaker terminals feel a little weak
CERWIN-VEGA H746 speakers are available at an affordable price range, making them suitable for anyone who wants to upgrade their factory speakers with better aftermarket speakers but working with a tight budget.
3. Best 3-Way- CERWIN VEGA XED693
- Country Of Origin: China
- Curvilinear Polypropylene Cone
- Butyl Rubber Surround
CERWIN VEGA XED693 also comes as a pair of coaxial speakers just like our first two picks. However, this model is available as a 3-way speaker whereas our first two picks come as 2-way speakers. Another great thing about this model from Cerwin Vega is its larger size than our first two picks. Also, this model has a bigger mounting depth of 3.4 inches, meaning that these speakers need a more spacious mounting location than our first two picks.
- 3-way speaker- One of the most astonishing features of these speakers is their 3-way design. They feature a woofer cone, a tweeter, and a super tweeter. That means you’ll enjoy full-range sound including bass, high frequencies, and super-high frequencies.
- Curvilinear poly cone- This speaker model is unique in that it features a curvilinear poly cone. The curvilinear cone design is shaped in such a way that the cone is deeper toward the apex and shallower towards the periphery. As a result, the cone can output optimum performance.
- Piezo tweeter and metal dome tweeter- Another top feature of these speakers is that they come with two tweeters. The tweeters include a piezo tweeter and a metal dome tweeter. The piezo tweeter works as a super tweeter that reproduces higher treble than what a standard tweeter can. Its metal dome tweeter produces regular treble. Thus, you won’t miss any audible treble in your favorite playlists.
- Mesh speaker grill- The speakers come with a mesh speaker grill that’s specially designed to keep the tweeters, cone, and surround protected from damage by foreign objects. The mesh has tiny holes that prevent foreign objects from passing through while still allowing maximum sound to pass through.
- Butyl rubber surround- Another unique feature of these speakers is their butyl rubber surround. The surround is designed for non-fatiguing sound production. Also, the surround keeps the cone well secured in place. Besides, the surround is made of top-grade butyl rubber for enhanced durability.
- Linear woven and treated red spider for maximum efficiency and durability
- High sensitivity rating of 94dB for high volume sound with minimal power input
- Very wide frequency range of between 50 Hz to 18 kHz for maximum frequency response
- High power handling with a power rating of 50 watts RMS and 350 watts max power per speaker
- The tweeter and super tweeter don’t protrude above the speaker basket for a cleaner look and a lower risk of getting damaged
- You may need to make a new mounting hole for some mounting locations
- It May sound a little harsh for some people
Do you like listening to music with a higher treble output than other sound frequencies? If so, these CERWIN VEGA XED693 3-way speakers will be your best option.
4. Best Component- CERWIN VEGA XED650C
- XED series
- Curvilinear Poly Cone
- Butyl Rubber Surround
Unlike the first three speakers in our review, the Cerwin Vega XED650C comes as a component speaker system whereas our first three speakers come as coaxial speakers. Also, it’s shaped differently in that it comes in a circular shape while our first three speakers are oval in shape. The woofer drivers in this speaker set feature a complete black finish including the speaker basket, cone, surround, and magnet structure. Also, the tweeters feature a complete black finish. Thus, it’s suitable for music lovers who love dark sound equipment.
- 1-inch dome tweeter- The speaker set comes with two component tweeters. Each tweeter measures 1-inch. They comprise a metal dome design for brighter treble. Besides, they’re low profile for easier installation in tight mounting locations or where you want them to be less visible.
- Wide frequency response- Although this speaker system has a narrower frequency response than our third pick, it has a wider frequency response than our first two picks. Thus, you can expect to hear more details of your favorite songs, especially for lower frequencies than the first two picks. It can hit a frequency range of between 60 Hz to 18 kHz.
- High-grade rubber surround- One of the features that make this speaker system a great choice is the high-grade butyl rubber surround. The butyl rubber surround doesn’t degrade with time. It maintains its high-grade properties and efficiency even when used in harsh environments.
- High-grade polypropylene cone- Also, these speakers are specially made with high-grade polypropylene cone. The cone doesn’t absorb moisture. Also, the cone has very minimal distortion for better performance.
- External crossovers- Another great reason why you should consider these speakers is their high-performance external crossovers. They come with two crossovers that ensure the speakers and tweeters only get the frequency range they’re capable of producing. As a result, you’ll enjoy more clear sound due to accurate frequency response.
- Curvilinear cone structure for smoother sound response
- Both speakers and tweeters are protected with grills for enhanced longevity
- Great power handling with a power rating of 30 watts RMS and a peak power of 300 watts max
- The speakers have a treated red spider that also features a linear woven design for enhanced performance
- Swivel tweeter design that makes it possible to position the speakers towards a certain listening spot as needed
- The tweeter grills are not tightly glued in place and may require regluing them in place
- Treble is a little overwhelming since the crossovers lack a way to adjust highs
Any car music lover who likes customizing their car music system should consider this CERWIN VEGA XED650C component speaker system as it comes with separate woofer drivers and separate tweeters for enhanced customization.
5. CERWIN VEGA XED62
- XED series
- Curvilinear Poly Cone
- Butyl Rubber Surround
CERWIN VEGA XED62 pair of coaxial speakers are similar in size to our 4th pick, the CERWIN VEGA XED650C as they both measure 6.5 inches. Also, they share the same frequency response range of between 60 Hz to 18 kHz. However, they differ in that this CERWIN VEGA XED62 comes as a coaxial speaker whereas the CERWIN VEGA XED650C comes as a component speaker system.
- High sensitivity- One of the areas where these speakers shine most is their high sensitivity. They have a sensitivity rating of 94 dB, which is very high. Its high sensitivity makes it quite loud without demanding a lot of power from the receiver or amplifier. As a result, you can connect it directly to a receiver and get decent volume.
- Easy installation- Another reason why this speaker set is among the best Cerwin Vega speakers is the ease of installation. They come with installation hardware that makes it easier to install. You won’t have to buy installation hardware separately. They include installation hardware include 8 mounting screws, 8 mounting clips, and 2 speaker cables.
- 4-ohm impedance- The speakers come with a low impedance rated at 4 ohms. The low impedance rating means that the speakers can pull more power from a less powerful amplifier. You’ll also find it possible to connect it directly to an aftermarket head unit.
- Smooth highs- Additionally, the speakers come with a 1-inch dome tweeter. The metal dome tweeter produces smooth response within the supported frequency range. Also, it’s designed in a manner that allows for wider dispersion of treble in the car cabin.
- Vented basket- It’s also worth noting that these coaxial speakers come with a vented stamped steel basket. The vented design allows heat to escape from the speaker components, thereby protecting the speaker from overheating, especially when using them for prolonged playtimes.
- Affordable price range for a pair of coaxial speakers
- The speakers feel very sturdy and look stylish
- They come with numerous holes for inserting screws for easier installation
- Mesh speaker grilles to keep the speakers protected from piercing and other forms of damage
- Durable and top-quality rubber surround for optimal performance and longevity
- Not the best midrange
- Not ideal for a flush mount installation as the tweeter and grill protrude above the level of the speaker basket
The CERWIN VEGA XED62 pair of coaxial speakers are perfect for connecting directly to a receiver and still get loud sound output without using an external amplifier.
6. Premium Pick- CERWIN VEGA V468
- Low-resonant deep-drawn stamped cast basket
- Curvilinear cone design for superior mid-bass/off-axis...
- 1" titanium dome tweeters
CERWIN VEGA V468 coaxial speaker is our premium pick. It compares closely with our last pick, the CERWIN VEGA V469. It’s the second most powerful speaker in our review, only second to our last pick. Both feature a red speaker surround, a black cone, and a tweeter covered with a grill. Also, both are coaxial speakers, only that CERWIN VEGA V469 is more powerful and a little larger.
- Low-resonant speaker basket- One of the most outstanding features of this speaker is the low-resonant speaker basket. The speaker basket is made of composite material that doesn’t reinforce vibrations. That way, you’ll enjoy clearer sound output from the speaker.
- Robust quality- Overall, the speaker is designed and manufactured to offer robust quality. The components making up the speaker are made of superior quality materials. Also, they’re built together carefully for enhanced durability and longevity. Besides, its robust quality allows for superior sound output.
- Superior mid-bass- Another outstanding feature of this speaker is that it outputs superior mid-bass. It features a curvilinear speaker cone design that enhances the mid-bass response. Thus, it’s able to cover sounds overlapping both bass and treble effortlessly.
- Titanium dome tweeter- The speaker features a powerful 1-inch titanium dome tweeter. The tweeter can handle a high power output from an amplifier or head unit. Also, it’s able to reach higher volumes effortlessly.
- Mica-filled cone- It comes with a mica-filled polypropylene speaker cone. Injection of mica particles into the poly cone allows it to attain superior sound response. Thus, it’s can perform better than a plain poly cone.
- The tweeter is covered by a mesh grill for enhanced protection
- Attractive speaker finish with a combination of a black and red finish that makes a bold statement
- Powerful sound output with a power handling of 400 watts peak power and 75 watts RMS
- Wide frequency range of between 55 Hz to 20 kHz for a better listening experience
- Not the best for low frequencies
- The tweeter protrudes a little bit off the speaker basket
If you’re shopping for a speaker that can deliver superior sound quality and are willing to spend more for premium quality, then consider CERWIN VEGA V468 coaxial speaker.
7. Most Powerful- CERWIN VEGA V469
- VEGAWhen people think of Cerwin-Vega Mobile they think...
- Low-Resonant Deep Drawn Composite Basket
- Curvilinear Cone Design for Superior Mid-Bass and...
CERWIN VEGA V469 pair of coaxial speakers are the most powerful speakers from Cerwin Vega in our review. Also, they’re the largest speakers in our review. They measure 6 x 9 inches with a mounting depth of 3.43 inches.
- Powerful sound output- One of the features that stand out most in this pair of coaxial speakers is their powerful sound output. In fact, they’re more powerful than other Cerwin Vega speakers in our review. They’re able to handle up to 100 watts RMS and 500 watts peak power.
- Superior bass- If you’re a bass lover, this is definitely a speaker you’ll want to consider from Cerwin Vega. It’s able to hit low frequencies of up to 45 Hz. Thus, expect to experience most of the bass from your favorite songs.
- Titanium tweeter- It comes with a titanium dome tweeter that’s permanently enclosed in a mesh speaker grill for added protection. The titanium tweeter material is very rigid to reduce distortion. Also, it’s able to handle a high power input.
- Greatly sized- If you’re seeking to upgrade factory speakers with larger aftermarket speakers, these Cerwin Vega speakers are a perfect choice. They measure 6 by 9 inches, making them large enough for decent volume output.
- Flush mount- The design of the speakers makes them ideal for a flush mount installation where the space allows for their depth. The tweeter doesn’t protrude outside the speaker basket surface for a flush mount installation.
- Its curvilinear mica injected polypropylene cone allows for superior sound output
- Their red and black finish makes them look very stylish and aesthetically pleasing
- High sensitivity rating of 94 dB for louder sound output with less power
- 1-inch tweeter that outputs clear and smooth highs even at high volume
- The speakers don’t come with grilles
- Not ideal for installation in very tight mounting locations due to its large mounting depth
CERWIN VEGA V469 is the right choice for audiophiles who love pushing their car audio system hard as they’re able to handle a lot of power.
How to Choose the Best Cerwin Vega Speakers
While Cerwin Vega designs and manufactures a wide range of speakers, they differ in several aspects that set different models apart. Thus, you’d want to compare them more keenly to find the right model for your car audio needs. Here’re some tips to help you choose the best speakers from Cerwin Vega.
1. Coaxial vs Component Speaker
Cerwin Vega makes both coaxial and component speakers. You’ll need to make your choice based on your needs. For instance, coaxial speakers are suitable for anyone who wants speakers that are easier to install as they come with at least two speaker drivers built-in one speaker basket. For instance, 2-way coaxial speakers come with a tweeter and woofer driver in one speaker basket for full-range sound from one speaker system. You can also consider 3-way speakers that feature a tweeter, super tweeter, and woofer driver. On the other hand, component speakers come as separate speaker systems. Although component speakers are more challenging to install, they allow for a customized audio setup. Thus, make your choice based on the kind of sound setup you want.
2. Speaker Size
Different speaker models from Cerwin Vega come in different sizes and shapes. Most of their coaxial speakers are oval while component speakers are mostly circular. Thus, choose the shape depending on the mounting location. Also, consider the size that’ll easily fit in the mounting location. If altering the mounting location doesn’t matter to you, then the size and shape won’t be an issue.
3. Power Handling
It’s very important to consider the amount of power that a speaker can handle. The last thing you’ll want is to buy a speaker and burn it out due to overpowering it or damage it due to underpowering. Ensure your amplifier or head unit is powerful enough to feed the speaker you’re choosing with sufficient power. Most importantly, consider the RMS power rating of the speaker.
4. Build Quality
You definitely want to invest your money in a speaker that’ll serve you for many years to come. Thus, it’ll help to ensure the speaker you’re about to buy is made of superior quality materials. The type of materials used in making the speaker should be durable and able to resist harsh elements. The materials shouldn’t degrade easily and should resist tear and wear over time. Also, the components making up the speaker should be properly attached to each other for enhanced longevity.
When shopping for aftermarket speakers, Cerwin Vega speakers should be on the top of your list. As you can see in our review, Cerwin Vega has several great speaker models to choose from. They’re available as both coaxial and component speakers in different sizes and power handling capabilities. Hopefully, you’ll find some of the best Cerwin Vega speakers for your car audio needs in our review.