Besides music being entertaining, it also increases productivity. Working while listening to music encourages you to do more. That’s why it’s a great idea to listen to music in the garage while doing some fixes to your car. Thus, investing in the best garage speakers is a great way of keeping yourself entertained while working on your car or other DIY fixes in your garage.
However, shopping for garage speakers can be quite tricky. Just like the way shower speakers deal with the harsh bathroom environment, garage speakers deal with grime, dust, and other harsh elements. Thus, the best speakers for use in the garage should be those designed to withstand the harsh garage conditions.
Even if you’ve insulated and sealed your garage against outdoor elements, it’s still recommended to choose speakers that can resist grime and dirt. Luckily for you, we’ve shortlisted and reviewed the best speakers for use in a garage and a buyer’s guide on how to make the right choice. Read on for more details.
Quick Comparison Table
Top 12 Garage Speakers
Garage speakers are not like any other speakers. The kind of garage speakers you choose will determine the kind of listening experience you’ll get in your garage. Choosing the wrong speakers will only make your stay in the garage dull and affect your productivity. Since garage speakers are not made equal, we’ve reviewed the best brands available today, including their top features, pros, and cons.
1. Best Option: OontZ Angle 3 (4th Gen) Bluetooth Speaker
The OontZ Angle 3 speaker features a unique triangular shape and a bass radiator that faces downward for enhanced and rich bass output. Its high-quality sound output sets it apart from competing garage speaker brands.
- Volume Booster- The speaker comes with a unique Volume Booster feature and a 10-watt amplifier that increase the volume output of the speaker without distortion. Also, it doesn’t distort at full volume. Despite its compact size, the speaker is loud enough for use in the garage and other outdoor spaces.
- Clear sound output- The speaker is designed using innovative technology. It features high precision dual drivers that output stereo sound with enhanced clarity. The highs are clear and the mids are accurate. Also, its passive bass radiator outputs enhanced lows.
- Long Bluetooth range- Another top feature of this garage speaker is that it comes with a long Bluetooth range of up to 100 feet. It’s made with Bluetooth 4.2 technology for faster and easier Bluetooth connectivity. It connects with most Bluetooth devices including Mac and Windows PCs and iOS and Android smartphones.
- Water-resistant- The speaker is perfect for use in the harsh garage environment, thanks to its water-resistant design. It features an IPX5 water-resistant rating. Thus, it’s able to resist low-pressure water jet sprays.
- Long battery life- It comes with a rechargeable battery with a capacity of 2500mAh. The battery delivers up to 14 hours of playtime when using the speaker at two-thirds volume. Its prolonged playtime enhances its portability.
- AUX input
- Micro-USB charging port
- Affordable price range
- Inbuilt microphone for hands-free calls
- Challenging to see the controls in poorly lit areas
- Takes quite long to recharge it fully
The OontZ Angle 3 (4th Gen) Bluetooth Speaker stands out for its crystal clear sound output and rich bass, making it our best option overall.
2. Best Runners-Up: Bose SoundLink Micro
The Bose SoundLink Micro garage speaker is specially designed for compactness. Its small size and the power it delivers make it stand out among competing brands. It delivers superb sound performance despite its small size.
- IPX7 waterproof rating- The speaker boasts of having an IPX7 waterproof rating. This means that it’s safe to submerge the speaker in water for 30 minutes in a depth of up to 1 meter. Thus, you can safely use it in the garage, even when washing your car with a hose without risking it to water damage.
- Rugged exterior- The outer casing of the speaker features a rugged and soft design. Its casing design resists scratches, dents, and cracks. This makes the speaker retain its form and aesthetics for many years to come.
- Portable design- The speaker is compact and lightweight for enhanced portability. It comes with a strap on the back of the casing that you can strap to a backpack or a belt. You can also strap it anywhere else it can fit. Thus, you can easily walk around with it in your garage while strapped on your belt. Besides, the strap is tear-resistant.
- Voice prompts- One of the key benefits of this speaker is that it supports voice prompts. Its support for voice prompts and its Bluetooth connectivity makes it possible to make hands-free calls. You can also use your smartphone’s virtual assistant via voice prompts.
- Speaker pairing- You can pair two of these speakers for stereo sound or party mode experience. You can also use the patented Bose SimpleSync technology to connect the speaker to any other Bose smart speaker for enhanced synchronization when playing music.
- 6 hours playtime
- Inbuilt microphone
- Balanced sound output
- Easy Bluetooth pairing
- Comes with a USB cable
- Its Bose Connect App is only available for Android devices
- Hands-free calls only work with regular phone calls and not calls made via apps
As the best runners-up, the Bose Sound Link Micro stands out for its compact size and portability, making it great for use in the outdoor garage environment.
3. Best Construction: BUGANI Bluetooth Speaker, M83 Portable
This speaker from BUGANI is quite impressive. It features a durable construction. You can rest assured that with its design, it’ll be able to withstand the tough and rough garage environment. The durable construction makes it perfect for outdoor use.
- Bluetooth 5.0- The speaker features the latest Bluetooth 5.0 technology. This Bluetooth technology allows for extremely fast pairing with Bluetooth-enabled devices. Its Bluetooth connectivity is stable and doesn’t cut out during use as long as the paired devices are within the supported Bluetooth range.
- Rechargeable lithium battery- It comes with a powerful rechargeable lithium battery. It also works as a power bank that allows you to charge your smartphone or tablet via USB. It has a fast-charging mechanism to recharge your smartphone quickly.
- High fidelity sound- The speaker features two mid-bass speakers, each with a power output of 20 watts. It also features two tweeters, each with a power output of 4 watts. Its full-range and powerful speaker drivers output high-fidelity sound for the best listening experience.
- IPX5 waterproof- It features an IPX5 waterproof rating, meaning that it can withstand water splashes and gentle sprays that are often experienced in the garage. It’s also able to resist rain. This also means that you can use it by the beach or pool.
- Supports dual pairing- You can pair two of these speakers, thanks to the dual pairing feature in the speaker. Dual pairing makes it possible to connect two speakers for enhanced acoustic depth and stereo sound. Also, pairing two speakers allows for the production of surround sound.
- Automatic Bluetooth pairing after rebooting
- Supports TF card
- AUX input
- Comes with a USB charging cable
- Dedicated control buttons
- Sounds muffled at low volume
- Cannot skip music when streaming from a TF card
The tough construction behind the design of this BUGANI Bluetooth Speaker, M83 Portable makes it one of the most durable and best garage speakers available today.
4. Best Premium Option: Klipsch AW-650 Indoor/Outdoor Speaker
Klipsch speakers are known for their powerful performance and sturdiness. The design behind this speaker makes it suitable for playing music in the garage. You can also use it on the patio or by the swimming pool, thanks to its resistance to weather elements.
- ABS speaker enclosure- The enclosure that comes with this speaker is made of ABS material. The material is UV-resistant such that its form and aesthetics are not affected by UV rays. Besides, the enclosure is paintable such that you can paint it in a color of your choice just in case you’d want to alter its color.
- Horn tweeter- It comes with a horn tweeter that allows highs to be directed evenly in the listening environment. This ensures the highs are less directional for a more detailed listening experience. Also, the horn tweeter design reduces reflections.
- All-weather construction- The speaker enclosure is rugged to resist daily wear in the garage space. Additionally, the speaker is constructed to resist weather elements such as water splashes and dust. It’s able to withstand the harsh garage environment.
- High sensitivity- The speaker has a high sensitivity rating of 95dB. This means that you can power it from a less powerful source device and output loud sound. It’s able to handle a power input of up to 85 watts.
- Easy to install- It comes with two C-style mounting brackets, 4 bracket knobs, and 4 Nylock nuts. The provided mounting hard makes it easier to install the speaker. Also, the mounting hardware is made of stainless steel for a sturdy installation and durability.
- Durable construction
- Rustproof aluminum speaker grille
- Crystal-clear sound at high volume
- 1-inch titanium tweeter
- Ported speaker enclosure
- Lacks Bluetooth connectivity
- The woofer driver can’t handle a lot of power
If you don’t mind spending a little more on premium quality garage speakers, then consider this Klipsch AW-650 Indoor/Outdoor Speaker in your shortlist.
5. Best for Crystal Clear Highs: KICKER KB6 2-Way Full Range
The Kicker KB6 2-Way Full Range speakers come as a pair of speakers. They’re an upgrade for an older Kicker KB6000 model. They’re made with upgraded drivers and better sound quality. They’re suitable for use in both open-air and fully-enclosed garages.
- Versatile speaker placement- The speakers very versatile. They use a 180-degree mounting mechanism that makes it possible to mount them anywhere you want. You can mount them on the garage ceiling or the wall. Furthermore, you can angle them toward your listening position for enhanced sound projection.
- UV-treated enclosure- The enclosure used to seal each speaker in the pair is UV treated. It’s not affected by UV rays. Additionally, the enclosure is waterproof. It’s able to withstand the harsh and wet outdoor environment without the interior components being exposed to water.
- Compression-loaded tweeters- Another notable feature of these speakers is that they feature compression-loaded horn tweeters. Each tweeter measures 2” x 5” and delivers crystal clear highs. The horn tweeters are also loud enough to fill a large garage with amazing treble.
- 6.5-inch woofer- Each speaker in this pair boasts of featuring a high-performance 6.5-inch woofer. The woofer features Santoprene surround for enhanced durability and flexibility. Also, the woofer is made of a polypropylene cone for reduced distortion.
- Powerful sound- Each speaker has a power rating of 75 watts RMS and 150 watts peak power. Its massive power rating makes it possible to hook it up with a powerful sound source without distortion at a safe volume.
- Full range sound
- Clean, crisp sound output
- Comes with mounting hardware
- Sturdy construction
- Excellent bass
- Lacks dedicated control buttons
- Not very portable
KICKER KB6 2-Way Full Range pair of speakers stand out for their impressive horn tweeter that’s designed to deliver crystal clear highs.
6. Best with Rechargeable Battery: Anker Soundcore 2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
The portable design behind this speaker makes it perfect for use in the garage, home, travel, and outdoors. It has a rugged enclosure that makes it suitable for use in the tough and rough garage environment.
- Powerful Li-ion battery- This portable speaker boasts of having a powerful Li-ion battery with a capacity of 5,200mAh. It’s capable of powering the speaker for a period of up to 24 hours before requiring a recharge.
- Weather-proof- The speaker comes with an IPX7 waterproof rating. It’s able to resist rain and spills. It can also be submerged in water to a depth of 1 meter for up to 30 minutes without getting damaged. Its construction also makes it resist snow and dust.
- Simple controls- It features simple dedicated controls for power ON/OFF, volume up, volume down, play/pause, and Bluetooth ON/OFF. The controls are very responsive for easier control. It’s also easy to access the buttons as they’re strategically positioned on the top panel.
- Digital signal processor- The speaker comes with an inbuilt digital signal processor (DSP). The DSP optimized the sound quality by eliminating distortion at high volume. Also, the DSP enhances bass.
- Superb bass output- Despite its small compact size, this speaker outputs intense bass. It has a patented bass technology that utilizes a spiral bass port. This bass technology boosts lows for intense bass output.
- Classic design
- Lightweight and portable
- Dual neodymium drivers
- 12 watts power
- Inbuilt microphone for hands-free calling
- Bass notes tend to crackle on high volume
- Takes long to recharge fully
The Anker Soundcore 2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker stands out for its powerful rechargeable battery, making it superb for portability.
7. Best Average-Priced: Dual Electronics LU43PB 3-Way
The Dual Electronics speaker system comes as a pair of full-range speakers that are specially designed for multipurpose use. You can use them in both indoor and outdoor spaces, including in the garage.
- Three-way speaker system- The speakers are designed as three-way speaker systems comprising a 4-inch woofer driver, a 1.6-inch midrange driver, and a 0.78-inch piezo dome tweeter. Together, these drivers deliver full-range sound with decent bass, midrange, and treble.
- Stereo sound- These speakers come as a pair of full-range speakers. They produce sound in a synchronized manner for an enhanced stereo sound experience. Their component speaker design allows for the production of clear and crisp stereo sound.
- Swivel mounts- Another great feature of these speakers is that they come with swivel mounting brackets. You can turn them on the swivels to an angle of up to 120 degrees. Besides, you can mount them either vertically or horizontally. When mounted vertically, you can swivel them toward the left or the right. When mounted horizontally, you can swivel them upward or downward. That way, you can direct the sound to your listening position.
- All-weather enclosure- Whether you’re using them on your garage, patio, or any other outdoor area, you can rest assured that these speakers will withstand heat, rain, and other weather elements. Their enclosure is weather-resistant for safe outdoor use. Also, the enclosure is UV resistant.
- Powerful sound output- The speaker has a low sensitivity of 85.5 dB, making it safe to power it with a powerful receiver or amplifier. They’re capable of handling 50 watts RMS power and 100 watts peak power.
- Durable construction
- Supports both on-ceiling and on-wall mounting
- Mounting hardware is included
- Wide frequency response
- Spring clip speaker terminals
- Lacks Bluetooth connectivity
- Requires a powerful receiver or amplifier to power them
If you’re searching for mid-priced garage speakers that you can also use as multipurpose speakers, these Dual Electronics LU43PB 3-Way will be your best bet.
8. Best Swivel Mounting Option: Polk Audio Atrium 4 Outdoor Speakers
Polk Audio is among the best audio brands available today. The company specializes in manufacturing both car audio and home audio systems. The Polk Audio Atrium 4 Outdoor Speakers are among the best garage speakers today. The speakers feature a durable design that makes them suitable for garage entertainment.
- Balanced sound output- The speakers are designed to deliver dynamically balanced sound. Each speaker features a 4.5-inch driver with a mineral-filled poly cone and a butyl rubber surround. This makes it deliver balanced bass. Also, it features a ¾ inch aluminum dome tweeter with a neodymium magnet for smooth highs.
- High powered- Each speaker handles 80 watts of power. The materials making the drivers allow for optimum performance and more realistic sound output. Also, its sound reproduction is accurate for both highs and lows at all volume levels.
- All-weather construction- The speakers are made to exceed standards for environmental endurance. They resist corrosion, extreme temperature, and rain. You can safely wash your car near the speakers without risking them to water damage.
- Durable hardware- Additionally, the speakers come with brass and stainless steel hardware. The grilles are made of aluminum. The binding posts are gold-plated. Thus, you don’t have to worry about rust on any hardware on the speaker.
- Broad coverage- The speakers feature a steeply-angled design. This design allows for wider dispersion of sound over a larger area without affecting the sound details. Thus, you can hear its sound output in a large double garage.
- Speed-lock mounting system
- Rugged enclosure
- Rust-free construction
- Can be mounted horizontally or vertically
- Loud and wide sound output
- Lacks Bluetooth connectivity
- Lacks dedicated control buttons
The Polk Audio Atrium 4 Outdoor Speakers feature a 180 degrees swivel mounting system for sound dispersion toward any desired listening area.
9. Longest Battery Life Option: ION Audio Block Rocker Plus
This speaker from ION Audio is designed to deliver superior Hi-Fi sound anywhere you wish to use it. It’s ultra-portable and comes with 2-way speaker drivers for dynamic and full-range sound production. The speaker comes with a microphone such that you can use it to hold parties in your garage.
- Powerful sound output- The speaker is packed with an 8-inch woofer and a 3-inch tweeter. It utilizes an inbuilt power amplifier with a peak power rating of 100 watts. The amplifier amplifies sound signals from the audio source and pumps out decent full-range sound. The speaker also comes with a bass boost button for deepening the bass output when needed.
- Long battery life- Another top feature of this speaker is its long battery life. It offers a nonstop playtime of up to 50 hours. Besides, the battery is rechargeable. You can also use it as a power bank to charge your smartphone or tablet via USB.
- Telescoping handle- The speaker is also designed for enhanced portability. It comes with a telescoping handle and two wheels at the back. This makes it easier to carry it such that you can drag it along the wheels from your home to the garage and back as needed. It also comes with two carry handles, one on either side panel, for easier lifting.
- Multiple sound sources- If you love listening to the radio, you can take advantage of the FM/AM radio that comes with the speaker. You can also stream music wirelessly through Bluetooth. If you have a favorite source device that lacks Bluetooth but supports an AUX connection, you can hook it up to the speaker via its 3.5mm AUX input.
- User-friendly- The speaker doesn’t require any installation. It comes as a powered speaker. All you need to do is to charge it, connect it to a compatible audio source, and power it on to start enjoying your favorite music tracks or radio.
- 20 radio pre-sets
- Rugged plastic enclosure
- Wide dispersion tweeter
- USB charging port
- Easy to use control buttons
- Relatively bulky
- Not waterproof
If you’re searching for a portable speaker with extremely long battery life, this ION Audio Block Rocker Plus speaker is your safest bet.
10. Best Sleek Design: Tribit XSound Go Bluetooth Speaker
The Tribit XSound Go Bluetooth Speaker is designed to give you peace of mind when using it in the touch garage environment. It’s dustproof and has a solid construction that keeps it protected from scratches and damages from accidental drops.
- Stylish design- One of the most outstanding aspects of this speaker is its sleek and sophisticated design. Its edges are curved and smooth with no sharp corners. The entire casing and grille feature a matte finish for a more modern look.
- Waterproof enclosure- Besides its sleek design, this speaker boasts of being waterproof. The enclosure and buttons are waterproof with an IPX7 waterproof rating. Besides using it in your garage while washing your car, you can use it as a shower speaker or use it by the pool.
- Dual drivers- It comes with dual drivers, each with a power rating of 8 watts. In total, the speaker delivers a power output of 16 watts. It also comes with a bass radiator. These speaker drivers deliver crisp midrange, rich lows, and crystal treble.
- All-day music playback- Another worth noting feature is its rechargeable Li-ion battery that allows for up to 24 hours of music playback. Thus, you can enjoy listening to your favorite music all day long and late into the night.
- Wireless connectivity- The speaker eliminates the use of speaker cables and power cords. This means that you can place it anywhere in your garage and enjoy listening to music via Bluetooth. It utilizes Bluetooth 5.0 technology for effortless connections. It has a Bluetooth range of up to 100 feet.
- Affordable price range
- Tough and solid construction
- Accepts voice input for Google Now and Siri
- Ultra-compact design
- Stable Bluetooth connectivity
- Only works with Bluetooth devices
- Treble tends to override bass at high volume
If you’re an audiophile who loves audio devices featuring a stylish and sophisticated look, then this Tribit XSound Go Bluetooth Speaker is your best option for use as a garage speaker.
11. Best Option for Loudness: Pyle Wireless Portable PA Speaker System
This speaker comes with a massive woofer driver for loud sound output. It has a massive power output of up to 800 watts max. You can play your best playlist loudly without minding the noise coming from your activities in the garage.
- Remote control- You can easily control the speaker using the provided remote control. You can keep the remote control in your pocket rather than struggle to reach the onboard controls while doing various activities in the garage.
- Large drivers- The speaker comes with a large 12-inch subwoofer and a 1-inch tweeter. Both drivers are high performance and made of top-quality materials. Together, they deliver deep bass, clear highs, and superb midrange.
- Mic input- At the back panel, you’ll find a microphone input port. You can attach a wired microphone to the port and use the speaker as a PA speaker to entertain your guests in your garage, patio, or any other outdoor or indoor setting.
- USB port and micro SD slot- The speaker features a USB port on the back panel. It also has a micro SD card slot next to the USB port. Thus, you can stream your favorite tracks via a USB stick or a micro SD. Thus, you don’t have to carry bulky audio sources.
- Flashing lights- It features flashing party lights that create a party-like environment when holding a party in your garage. The lights are multicolored and pulse according to the music beats. You can turn the flashing lights ON/OFF using the remote control or the button on the back panel.
- Telescoping handle
- Horn tweeter
- Transportation wheels
- AUX input
- FM radio
- Only supports USB flash drives of up to 16 GB
- Not the best battery life
The outstanding loudness of this Pyle Wireless Portable PA Speaker System makes it suitable for holding parties in the garage or listening to music while in a noisy garage environment.
12. Best Budget Option: DOSS SoundBox Touch Portable Wireless
DOSS is among the most competitive audio device manufacturers today. The DOSS SoundBox Touch Portable Wireless is designed with cutting-edge sound technology for enhanced quality at an affordable price.
- Universal Bluetooth compatibility- The speaker utilizes Bluetooth 4.0 technology for wireless music streaming. It’s compatible with any Bluetooth-enabled device. It has a functionality that recalls the last paired device upon reboot for effortless reconnection.
- Lithium-ion battery- It comes with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. The battery is rechargeable for enhanced portability. It allows for a playtime of up to 20 hours at half volume. You can fully recharge it within 3 to 4 hours via micro USB.
- Versatile- The speaker is lightweight and features a compact design. It’s easily portable and versatile. You can use it in your garage or carry it anywhere else you’d want to listen to your favorite tracks.
- Touch buttons- It’s unique in that it comes with touch buttons. The buttons include skip next, skip previous, play/pause, mode, and power ON/OFF. The touch buttons are easy to control, thanks to their high responsiveness.
- High definition sound- The speaker has a power rating of 12 watts. It’s packed with dual drivers that deliver high-definition sound. Despite its small size, it delivers decent sound quality with enhanced bass and impressive volume.
- Affordable price range
- Inbuilt microphone for hands-free calls
- Superior build quality
- Comes with a micro USB cable for charging
- Limited Bluetooth range
- Lacks a dedicated volume control button
Working with a tight budget but need high-performance garage speakers? If so, these affordable DOSS Sound Box Touch Portable Wireless speakers are your top choice.
How to Choose the Best Garage Speakers
Garage speakers differ not only by brand but also on performance and quality. Thus, it’s important to make your choice wisely to get the best value for your money. Here’re the main factors you need to consider when shopping for garage speakers.
1. Power Rating
The power rating of a garage speaker determines the amount of power it can take. You should check the RMS power rating to know the continuous amount of power it can safely handle. The peak power rating is less important as it only indicates the maximum amount of power the speaker can handle in short power bursts. By knowing the power rating, you’ll know how powerful the speaker can be.
The sensitivity of a speaker is the amount of sound output that a speaker delivers from a single watt of power from the input. Sensitivity is measured in decibels (dB). A higher sensitivity means that a speaker requires less wattage from the input. Thus, if your sound source is not very powerful, then choose a garage speaker with a high sensitivity rating. On the other hand, a lower sensitivity rating means that a speaker requires more wattage from the input. Thus, if you have a powerful sound source, then consider choosing a garage speaker with a higher sensitivity rating.
3. Audio sources
Your audio sources will also determine the kind of speaker you’ll choose. If you prefer streaming music wirelessly from your smartphone or any other Bluetooth-enabled mobile device, then consider choosing a speaker with Bluetooth functionality. If you prefer playing music from a USB flash stick or SD card, then ensure the speaker has a USB port or SD card slot. Also, if you prefer listening to radio rather than music files, then consider choosing a speaker with FM/AM radio. Also, if you’ll be playing music from a receiver that supports AUX connections, then choose a speaker that has an AUX input.
If you’ll be moving the speaker to and fro the garage, or you want to use it in other outdoor spaces such as the poolside or patio, then consider choosing a portable garage speaker. It should be lightweight, compact, and with a rechargeable battery. If you want to permanently mount the speaker in your garage, then portability won’t be a big issue.
5. Weather resistance
Since the garage space is exposed to outdoor elements such as dust, dirt, and water, ensure the speaker you choose resists such weather elements. This will increase its durability in the tough garage environment. Check its water rating to know the level of exposure to water without damage.
6. Type of speaker
Garage speakers are available as either powered (active) speakers or passive speakers. If your audio source is not powerful, such as a smartphone, then consider choosing a powered speaker to amplify the sound. If you’ll be using a powerful receiver or external amplifier, then a passive speaker can suffice.
7. Durable construction
It’s also important to ensure the garage speaker you’re choosing will be able to withstand the rough garage environment. Using a speaker in the garage means that it’ll be exposed to accidental falls and being hit by objects. Thus, it should be made of a sturdy enclosure to keep the speaker protected from damage in the event of accidental falls.
Listening to music in your garage can be a great experience to motivate you when doing upgrades to your car, DIY fixes, or holding parties in your garage. However, not all speakers are suitable for use in the garage. Thus, it’s important to choose the best garage speakers to stand better chances of getting the best music experience in your garage. Keep this guide in mind to get the best value for your money when shopping for garage speakers.
Michael Evanchuk is a San Francisco-based sound engineer with 20 years’ experience installing, troubleshooting, and repairing commercial, automotive, and household sound equipment. Evanchuk owns an auto stereo center, where he offers highly competitive car audio installation and repair services. He has written dozens of articles on different sound engineering topics, all of which have been published in leading journals, blogs, and websites.