Car tweeters are a special type of speaker designed to reproduce high frequencies in a car music system. They reproduce the frequency range of between 2 kHz to 20 kHz. This frequency range comprises treble sounds. Treble sounds include soprano voice, flute tones, whistles, squeals, and high pitched sounds from musical instruments among other high pitched sounds. Thus, car tweeters complete a car music system by reproducing sounds that car subwoofers and midrange drivers cannot deliver. Read on through this article for detailed reviews on the best car tweeters available today.
How We Chose the Best Car Tweeters
Considering that there’re many car tweeters available today, it becomes a daunting task to choose the right option. Some music lovers end up choosing randomly, only to end up disappointed by the choices they made. Others forego using tweeters due to the confusion. Luckily for you, we’ve shortlisted the best car tweeters you can find today to make it easier for you when shopping. We tested different car tweeters and came up with a list of the top 10 tweeters available today.
Top 10 Car Tweeters in 2022
In our review, we will be discussing the top 10 car tweeters in detail. We’ve reviewed the top features of each tweeter, what we like about each tweeter, what we dislike, and the overall verdict. Read on for the detailed reviews.
Comparison Table of Best Car Tweeters
1. Rockford Fosgate Prime R1T-S
Rockford Fosgate is among the leading manufacturers of sound equipment. Its Prime R1T-S tweeter is among its new Prime series tweeters designed to deliver authentic highs. It comes with a frequency range of 2.5 kHz – 22 kHz for expansive reproduction of highs.
- Lightweight dome- This tweeter is a dome type of tweeter, featuring a lightweight Mylar dome material. It’s highly sensitive such that it reproduces highs effortlessly. Besides, it allows for smooth high frequency response.
- Low distortion- Another feature that this tweeter has to boast about is its low distortion. It’s designed to reproduce highs accurately for an enhanced sound stage. Thus, you’ll enjoy clearer highs.
- Multiple mounting options- The tweeter comes with mounting hardware that allows for different mounting options. You can easily mount it in an angled, surface, or flush configuration. Thus, you’ll be able to install it depending on your personal preferences.
- Integrated crossover- Another top feature that comes with this tweeter is its integrated high pass filter crossover. The 6 dB octave crossover filters unwanted frequencies such that the tweeter will only reproduce highs. That way, you’ll enjoy clearer highs.
- Wide frequency response– The tweeter can reproduce high frequencies in the range of 2.5 kHz to 22 kHz. Its wide frequency response makes it ideal for reproducing most highs. Thus, you won’t miss out on most highs in your car music.
- Comes with grilles
- High sensitivity of 72.5dB
- Shallow mounting depth
- Can handle a maximum power of up to 40 watts RMS
- Easy to install
- A little harsh
If you’re looking for a tweeter that is designed for installation in any mounting configuration, then go for the Rockford Fosgate Prime R1T-S tweeter.
2. DS18 PRO-TW120B
DS18 is one of the leading manufacturers of home and automotive electronic equipment, including top-quality sound systems. Its PRO-TW120B car tweeter is designed to reproduce top-quality highs for an enhanced music experience.
- High power tolerance– One of the top features of this tweeter is that it supports a high power input. It comes with a power rating of 200 watts RMS. Thus, it can be powered by a powerful head unit or amplifier without distorting easily.
- Super bullet tweeter– This tweeter features a super bullet tweeter design. It’s capable of hitting the highest frequencies that the human ear can hear. The tweeter is able to deliver bright and clear highs.
- Highly durable material– The tweeter comes with an aluminum diaphragm. Aluminum is lightweight, yet strong. It’s able to reproduce bright highs that are not drowned easily by bass and noise. Besides, the tweeter is protected by an aluminum frame for enhanced durability.
- Inbuilt crossover- Another top feature that comes with this tweeter is its inbuilt crossover that filters out low and mid frequencies, thereby leaving high frequencies to the tweeter. Thus, the tweeter delivers clean highs.
- Dust cover- This tweeter comes with a special dust cover. The dust cover keeps the voice coil protected from unwanted elements such as dust and other tiny elements that may interfere with its performance.
- Delivers crisp highs
- Comes as a pair
- Industrial-grade materials
- Solidly built
- Not the best for flush mounting
The DS18 PRO-TW120B super tweeter is ideal for any audiophile who likes listening to the highest frequencies.
3. Pioneer TS-B350PRO
Pioneer is among the most renowned sound equipment manufacturers of all times. Its TS-B350PRO tweeter outshines its competitors in several ways. It has a frequency range of 3.5 kHz – 27 kHz and each twitter in the pair has a power rating of 100 watts RMS and 250 watts peak power.
- Horn structure- The tweeter comes with a horn structure design. It’s able to deliver loud highs. Besides, the horn structure allows the tweeter to disperse highs in a more directional manner.
- Surface mounting design– The tweeter is designed in such a way that makes it ideal for surface mounting. This makes it suitable for installation on top of any preferred mounting location.
- Die-cast aluminum frame– The chassis of the tweeter is made of die-cast aluminum material. The material is light but strong for enhanced protection of the tweeter components without adding much to its overall weight.
- Titanium diaphragm– Another top feature that comes with this tweeter is its titanium diaphragm. Titanium material is extremely light and not highly resonant. It’s able to reproduce accurate highs.
- High-temperature voice coil– This tweeter also comes with a high-temperature voice coil. It’s ideal for prolonged use and can be driven hard without overheating.
- Comes as a pair
- Reproduces highs with a lot of clarity
- Comes with an in-line crossover
- Great magnet structure
- Not easy to conceal due to its large size
If you like hearing highs from a sweet spot in your car, then this Pioneer TS-B350PRO tweeter is the right option for you.
4. JBL GTO19T Premium
JBL GTO19T Premium comes as a pair of tweeters for enhanced highs in your car system. These soft dome tweeters reproduce highs in the frequency range of 2.5 kHz – 21 kHz such that you won’t miss out on most high frequency music details.
- High precision– This tweeter is designed for high precision sound. Its high precision design prevents reverberations that may result whenever the car stereo hits high bass or when turning the volume all the way up.
- Solidly built- Another top feature of this JBL tweeter is that it comes in a solidly built housing. The housing and the tweeter are inseparable. Thus, you can mount it without adding any extra housing. Besides, the housing comes with a grille that keeps the tweeter driver protected.
- Easy installation- The tweeter can be easily mounted on an existing tweeter port. It’s also easy to wire the tweeter, making it ideal for DIY installation.
- Superb sound quality- Another top feature of this tweeter from JBL is its high quality highs. It’s able to reproduce crisp highs for most music genres.
- Compatible with factory head units- You’ll also appreciate the compatibility of this tweeter. Its low impedance makes it ideal for installation with undersized factory speaker wires. Besides, its power rating makes it easy to power with a factory head unit.
- Low impedance
- Low distortion
- Durable construction
- High dynamic range
- Fixed mounting
The JBL GTO19T Premium tweeter is most ideal for use with a factory head unit or factory amplifier.
5. Polk Audio DB1001
The Polk Audio DB1001 pair of tweeters are designed to add high-frequency detail in a car sound system. Each tweeter in the pair comes with a power rating of 60 watts RMS and 180 watts peak power, with a frequency range of 4 kHz – 23 kHz.
- In-line crossover- One of the top features of these tweeters is that they come with an in-line crossover. The crossover only allows high frequencies to reach the tweeter. Thus, they’re able to deliver clean highs.
- Silk-polymer diaphragm- The driver of these tweeters is made of a silk-polymer composite material. This composite is highly dampened such that it doesn’t ring. It’s less resonant and allows for smooth highs.
- Swivel mounting cup- The tweeters come with both flush-mount and surface-mount swivel cups. Thus, you can choose between surface-mounting and flush-mounting the tweeters. Besides, the swivel cup design will allow you to angle the tweeters as needed.
- Stainless steel hardware- Another great feature about these tweeters is that they come with stainless steel mounting hardware. The mounting hardware is corrosion and rust resistant for longevity. It’s also strong for a sturdy installation.
- Neodymium magnet- The neodymium magnet structure that comes with the tweeter is lightweight yet powerful. It doesn’t lose its magnetism easily and allows for constructing small but strong magnets.
- Detailed and clear highs
- Flexibility in mounting
- Protected with a grill and sturdy housing
- Great aesthetics
- They may crackle at high volume
If you like changing the angle of installation of a tweeter to move a sweet spot towards a different listening position, then this Polk Audio DB1001 is the best deal for you.
6. Power Acoustik NB-2
Power Acoustik NB-2 comes as a pair of 1-inch tweeters with top-quality design and unique features. They have an impedance of 4 ohms and sensitivity of 97dB.
- Compact size- One of the reasons why we included these pair of tweeters in our review is their compact size. They are some of the smallest tweeters available today. Their compact size makes it possible for a slim mounting installation. This also makes them ideal for installation in any car.
- Multiple installation options- These tweeters are ideal for flush, angle, and surface mounting. This makes them ideal for custom installation depending on the kind of mounting style you want. They won’t restrict you to a single mounting style.
- Polypropylene diaphragm- The tweeters are made of polypropylene diaphragm. Polypropylene is extremely strong and performs efficiently regardless of the surrounding humidity. It delivers highly dampened and smooth highs.
- Niobium ferroelectric magnet- The ferroelectric magnet that comes with these tweeters allows them to reproduce detailed highs. Thus, you’ll enjoy top-quality highs from these tweeters.
- High pass filter- Another top feature of these tweeters is that they come with an inbuilt crossover that has a high pass filter. The high pass filter blocks out lower frequencies than the frequency range of the tweeters and allows higher frequencies to pass through. Thus, you’ll enjoy clear highs.
- Extremely affordable price range
- Shallow mounting depth
- Easy to conceal
- Wide frequency range
- Not very powerful
If you’re working with an extremely tight budget, this Power Acoustik NB-2 tweeter is the right deal for you due to its affordability.
7. Soundstream TWT.5
The Soundstream TWT.5 pair of tweeters is another great option suitable for adding highs in a car sound system. They come with an impedance of 4 ohms and a frequency range of 2 kHz – 21 kHz. Here’re some of their most unique features:
- Independent crossovers- Each tweeter in the pair comes with its own independent crossover. The crossovers filter incoming sound signals such that they block out lows and midrange and only allow highs to pass through. Thus, you’ll enjoy clear and detailed highs.
- Compact design- The tweeters have an extremely compact design. Their compactness makes them ideal for installation on almost any surface you’d want. Besides, you can easily conceal them for a more minimalist interior décor.
- PEI dome design- Another top feature that comes with these tweeters is that they feature a PEI dome tweeter design. This tweeter design is able to deliver smooth highs. The tweeters are highly stiff such that they don’t distort easily.
- Angle or surface mounting- You can mount these tweeters in an angle mounting or surface mounting style. Surface mounting is ideal for installing tweeters without drilling. On the other hand, angle mounting is ideal for installing tweeters in such a way that you can angle them towards a specific listening position.
- Powerful drivers- Each tweeter in the pair comes with a power of 55 watts RMS and 110 watts peak power. You’ll get a total of 110 watts RMS and 220 watts peak power from the pair. Thus, they’re powerful enough for most high frequency needs.
- Affordable price range
- 4 ohms impedance
- Comes with a housing and grille
- Easy to mount
- Not the best for loud highs
Soundstream TWT.5 tweeters are a great choice for anyone who wants affordable tweeters for simple DIY installation.
8. Infinity REF3022CFX
These Infinity REF3022CFX pair of tweeters are designed to deliver top quality highs in most vehicles. The tweeters have an impedance of 3 ohms and a power output of 45 watts RMS per twitter.
- Textile drivers- These tweeters are edge-driven textile tweeters. This material allows for clear and smooth highs. Their design allows for a lightweight tweeter with enhanced power handling ability.
- Low distortion- The tweeters are designed to perform efficiently at high output levels. They handle high sound output without distorting. Thus, you’ll enjoy loud highs with a lot of clarity.
- Starfish mounting bracket- Another top feature of these tweeters is that they come with starfish mounting brackets. These mounting brackets make it easier to mount the tweeters in factory mounting locations. Thus, you’ll find it effortless to install them.
- Small-sized- These tweeters are ¾ inches in size. Their small size makes them easy to install on any preferred mounting location. Besides, they’ll be less visible in your car such that they won’t interfere with the interior décor.
- Passive crossovers- Each of the tweeters comes with its own passive in-line crossover. These crossovers are powered by the audio signal passing through them. Thus, they don’t require an external power source. They’re easy to install and assist in filtering sound signals to only allow high frequencies to drive the tweeters.
- Ideal for both flush mounting and surface mounting
- They come as a pair
- They deliver an enhance stereo image
- Comes with a shallow mounting depth
- They’re extremely pricey
- May not be the best for some audiophiles
The Infinity REF3022CFX pair of tweeters are some of the best car tweeters for installation on factory mounting locations.
9. Alpine SPS-110TW
Alpine has been around for many years now. The company is never left behind when it comes to manufacturing serious sound systems. Its SPS-110TW tweeter is one of the best options you can find today.
- Wide frequency range- One of the top features that comes with this pair of tweeters is their wide frequency range. They can handle a frequency range of between 1 kHz to 22 kHz. This makes them ideal for reproducing most highs in a sound signal.
- Aluminum voice coil- These tweeters are made of a large aluminum voice coil. The aluminum material is able to dissipate heat quickly, making the tweeters perform efficiently when driving them hard for a prolonged period. Thus, the voice coil cannot burn out easily.
- In-line crossovers- Each of the tweeters come with an in-line crossover. The crossovers have high pass filters that allow the tweeters to only reproduce high frequencies for more detailed highs.
- High power handling– Each tweeter in the pair comes with a power rating of 100 watts RMS and 300 watts peak power. These makes them ideal for driving with aftermarket head units or amplifiers.
- Even highs- The tweeters come with an equalizer ring at the front of the driver that assists in distributing highs evenly. Thus, they make it possible to hear clear highs from any sitting position in a car.
- Comes with mounting hardware
- Ideal for top, bottom, and flush mounting
- They deliver rich high frequencies
- Large voice coil
- Higher price range
- A little challenging to install in factory locations
If you’re searching for car tweeters that can deliver an extremely wide high frequency range so as not to miss out on most music details, then consider choosing the Alpine SPS-110TW tweeters.
10. BOSS Audio Systems TW15
BOSS Audio Systems is among the leading manufacturers of sound systems. Their TW15 pair of tweeters are some of the best automotive tweeters available today. Each tweeter has a sensitivity of 93 dB and an impedance of 4 ohms. They have a maximum power rating of 250 watts per pair.
- Polyimide dome design- These tweeters feature a dome design with a polyimide diaphragm. This material has a high sensitivity and require minimal power to drive it. Additionally, this material has high heat-resistance properties that make it ideal for prolonged use.
- Different mounting options- These tweeters are designed for flush, angle, and surface mounting. You can flush mount them to look more concealed or angle mount them to point them towards a certain listening position. Besides, you can surface mount them for faster and simpler installation.
- Reliable crossovers- Each tweeter comes with its own in-line crossover. The crossovers are extremely reliable and allow the tweeters to deliver distortion-free and clear highs.
- Ferrite magnet- The diaphragm of each tweeter in this pair is driven by a powerful ferrite magnet. This magnet material resists corrosion and has a low cost of production, thereby contributing to the affordability of the tweeters.
- Strongly built- Another great feature of these tweeters is that each one of them comes in strongly built housing. Besides, each tweeter is protected with a sturdy grill for longevity.
- Mounting hardware is provided
- Comes with an instruction manual
- Two crossovers are provided
- Greatly priced
- A little challenging to install
- The mounting hardware is a little flimsy
The BOSS Audio Systems TW15 pair of tweeters are most suitable for custom mounting. They’re also ideal for anyone working with a tight budget.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Car Tweeters
As you can see, there’re many types of car tweeters available today. They come with their unique features, advantages, and shortcomings. With that said, you should know the factors to consider when choosing tweeters for your car. Read on for the most important factors to consider.
Mounting hardware and mounting style
The best tweeters are the ones that come with mounting hardware. The mounting hardware will assist you in installing the tweeters easily. Besides, consider tweeters that come with mounting hardware that allow for different mounting styles. That way, you won’t be limited to the mounting options you’ll have.
Size of the tweeters
Another important factor to consider is the size of the tweeters. Compact tweeters are easier to conceal and allow for flush installation, especially when they have a shallow mounting depth. However, small tweeters may not be very loud, especially if they have a low power rating.
The frequency range of a tweeter also matters. Its frequency range will determine the kind of highs it can reproduce. A tweeter with a wider frequency range will allow for the reproduction of more highs in a sound signal.
A crossover works by filtering certain frequencies to ensure that the driver reproduces the frequencies it’s built to reproduce. In this case, a tweeter crossover comes with high pass filters that filter incoming signals to keep away frequencies out of its range and only allow high frequencies within its frequency range to reach the tweeter. Thus, when buying car tweeters, ensure they come with a crossover for clearer and more detailed highs.
Tweeters are rated in terms of continuous power and peak power. The most important power rating to consider is continuous power. Continuous power is denoted by watts RMS. A higher continuous power rating means that the tweeter can be driven by a more powerful amplifier or head unit. If you’re working with a factory receiver, ensure the tweeter can be powered by the typically weak factory receivers.
Now that you know more about the best car tweeters available today, including the factors to consider before buying tweeters for your car, you’ll stand a better chance of choosing more wisely. Besides, we’ve only included the best options for the best value of your money. We hope that our reviews and buying guide will assist you in finding the best tweeters for your car.
Michael Evanchuk is a San Francisco-based sound engineer with 20 years’ experience installing, troubleshooting, and repairing commercial, automotive, and household sound equipment. Evanchuk owns an auto stereo center, where he offers highly competitive car audio installation and repair services. He has written dozens of articles on different sound engineering topics, all of which have been published in leading journals, blogs, and websites.