Essentially, AV receivers are designed to amplify audio signals. Thereafter, they divide the incoming signal and send it to the output channels in a home theater speaker setup. Sometimes, the signals require further processing to enhance the sound output. Besides amplifying audio signals, AV receivers also send picture signals to a projector or TV screen.
Today, modern TVs come with improved picture quality. In fact, a number of TV manufacturers are designing TVs that support 8K video resolution. To enjoy the best watching experience with an 8K TV, you’ll need an 8K receiver. In this guide, we review some of the best 8K receivers in today’s market.
Quick Comparison Table
Top 5 Best 8K Receivers
Although 8K TVs are largely expensive, they’re still worth it. With an 8K TV, you will enjoy improved picture quality, especially for gaming, movies, and live sports. Thus, if you have already upgraded to an 8K TV, you should also consider upgrading to an 8K receiver. Here’re our top 5 picks.
1. Denon AVR-X3700H – Best Overall
The Denon AVR-X3700H comes as a 9.2 channel 8K receiver. It delivers up to 105 watts of power per channel. Its powerful power output means that it can fill a very large room with rich, loud sound. With this receiver, you’ll enjoy ultra HD picture quality.
- Easy to setup- Many people often find it quite challenging to setup advanced AV receivers. Fortunately, this 8K receiver is designed to make it easy to setup, even for a first-timer. It comes with an on-screen setup assistant that offers user-friendly instructions on how to hook it to your TV. Also, it calibrates the attached speakers for better sound output.
- 3D sound output- The receiver offers 3D sound output. It supports advanced sound technologies such as Height Virtualization, IMAX Enhanced, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and DTS Neural:X among others. For instance, the Dolby Atmos technology allows for a home theater experience while DTS:X and DTS Neural:X create realism when watching movies and playing video games.
- Advanced HDMI- Another top feature of this receiver is that it comes with the latest HDMI standards. It features HDMI ports that support HDCP 2.3 standard. These ports can process 4K video. Also, they allow for 8K pass-through.
- 8K upscaling- The receiver supports 8K upscaling and processing HDCP 2.3 content. Thus, you can play any copy-protected media without issues. Also, it comes with support for eARC such that you can play 3D audio from apps on your TV to the receiver.
- Built-in high-current amps- Additionally, the receiver comes with built-in high-current amps. The amps output 105 watts per channel at an impedance of 4 ohms and a frequency range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz. The amps allow for sufficient power supply to the connected speakers and subwoofers.
- Smooth gaming experience without any lag
- Surround sound effects for a richer home theater experience
- Comes with remote control for enhanced usability
- No noticeable video delay when watching all kinds of video content
- Works with any HD and Ultra HD input devices with HDMI ports
- Lacks pass-through support for some 4K sources
Overall, the Denon AVR-X3700H offers the greatest value for money on our list. Whether you want to use it for music or gaming, it has everything it takes to deliver the best sound and picture quality.
2. Marantz SR5015 – Best for Multi-Room Audio
The Marantz SR5015 comes as a 7.2 channel 8K receiver, with a power output of 100 watts per channel. All channels are amplified for powerful sound output. Thus, no channel gets overloaded at the expense of other channels.
- High-quality sound output- The receiver comes with built-in power amps that deliver 100 watts per channel within a frequency range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz. Its low impedance power output at 8 ohms means that it can drive several kinds of speakers. Consequently, it allows for high-quality, balanced sound output.
- 8K pass-through- The receiver supports 8K/60Hz pass-through and 8K/60Hz upscaling. As a result, you can utilize modern HDMI standards and technologies such as Quick Media Switching and HDR to prevent any video delay. Also, you can watch videos of the highest possible quality.
- Smooth gaming- If you are a gaming fanatic, this receiver has what it takes to offer you a smooth gaming experience. It supports 4K pass-through from some media sources. It also supports technologies such as Auto Low Latency Mode, Variable Refresh Rate, and Quick Frame Transport. With these technologies, you’ll experience a lag-free and smooth gaming experience.
- Latest HDMI standards- Another notable feature is that the receiver comes with 6 HDMI inputs and 2 HDMI outputs. Thus, you can connect several media sources simultaneously and easily switch between them as needed. All the HDMI inputs support HDCP 2.3 technology while one input is dedicated for 8K/60Hz pass-through and 4K/120Hz pass-through for some 4K sources.
- Supports modern surround sound formats- As a lover of home cinema, this receiver comes with support for the latest surround sound formats. It supports Dolby Atmos, Height Virtualization, DTS Virtual:X, and DTS:X. With these surround sound formats, expect nothing but rich surround sound experience.
- Supports video upscaling to 8K picture quality
- Supports home automation and Bluetooth wireless audio streaming
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa and built-in HEOS
- Superior sound quality and crystal clear visuals
- Comes with USB port, phono, AUX, digital, and analog inputs
- Not the best for HEOS streaming
The Marantz SR5015 stands out for its support for multi-room audio. Thus, if you want wireless home theater sound across multiple rooms, this is one of the best 8K receivers to pick.
3. Yamaha TSR-700 – Most Affordable Pick
The Yamaha TSR-700 8K receiver is designed with affordability in mind. It comes as a 7.1 channel receiver, with each channel outputting up to 100 watts of power. It is packed with innovative features that you would want for a modern home theater system.
- Streamlined design- One of the features you cannot fail to notice about this receiver is its streamlined design with a glossy, black finish. It looks classy, even with the design of the controls and display. Additionally, the placement of the Yamaha logo makes it look even more appealing.
- Height virtualization- Another feature that stands out in this receiver is that it is equipped with Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization. This technology allows you to setup speakers in a way that simulates overhead speakers. That way, you’ll hear the sound coming around you and above you for an improved cinema-like experience.
- Modern audio standards- The receiver supports several modern audio standards. For instance, it supports audio formats such as DTS:X, DTS Neural:X, Dolby Atmos, QTF, and ALLM. Thus, you’ll enjoy playing the best audio quality.
- Supports MusicCast- Additionally, the receiver offers support for MusicCast. Its built-in MusicCast feature makes it possible to use the receiver to power wireless speakers in other rooms. Thus, you can listen to your favorite songs in other rooms apart from the home theater room using the same receiver.
- 8K and 4K pass-through- The receiver supports 8K pass-through on one of the HDMI ports. It also supports 4K/60 Hz pass-through via the HDMI ports. As a result, you’ll enjoy top-quality sound experience in your home theater.
- Supports modern streaming services like Pandora, Spotify, and SiriusXM
- Supports voice control through Google Assistant, Alexa, and Siri
- Affordable price range
- Status icon to indicate various modes such as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and sleep timer
- It produces realistic surround sound effects
- Lacks support for 4K/120Hz pass-through
The Yamaha TSR-700 receiver is a great pick for anyone who wants a functional and reliable 8K receiver but is working with a tight budget.
4. Onkyo TX-NR6100 – Best for Gaming
The Onkyo TX-NR6100 is another affordable 8K receiver. In fact, it produces 100 watts of power per channel. It comes as a 7.2 channel receiver for a full surround sound setup. You can also set it up with a 5.2.2 channel system for Dolby Atmos surround sound.
- Supports both 4K and 8K resolutions- The receiver comes with 6 HDMI 2.1 inputs. HDMI inputs 1 to 3 support 8K resolution whereas HDMI inputs 4 to 6 support 4K resolution. Thus, you can enjoy watching movies and gaming in the highest resolution possible.
- Lag-free gaming- The receiver is specially designed to allow for the best gaming experience in 4K quality. By hooking your gaming console to the receiver via HDMI 2.1, you’ll experience ultra-fast video motion for lag-free gaming. Also, its support for ALLM technology minimizes latency from a gaming console to the screen for reduced video lag.
- Immersive viewing experience- Its support for 8K resolution allows for immersive viewing. Also, its support for 60Hz refresh rate allows for sharp and smooth viewing, which is very important when viewing high-speed video such as gaming and movies. Additionally, its support for eARC allows for clean and clear picture quality.
- Supports voice control- Another top feature of this receiver is that it offers support for voice control. You can hook it to voice control devices such as Alexa and Google Assistant. That way, you can easily control the receiver via voice commands.
- Wireless streaming- Another reason that makes it one of the best 8K receivers is its support for wireless streaming via Bluetooth. You can even listen to audio from the receiver via Bluetooth headphones. That way, you won’t wake up your loved ones when watching movies or playing video games late in the night.
- Affordable price range
- Works with Sonos sound systems
- Supports streaming services such as Pandora, Spotify, TuneIn, and Airplay 2 among others
- Works with an Onkyo smartphone control app on both Apple and Android devices
- You can hook up a second display device as it comes with 2 HDMI outputs
- You need to buy a separate Alexa or Google Assistant device to use voice controls
If you are a gaming fanatic, the Onkyo TX-NR6100 8K receiver is the best pick for you, thanks to its lag-free and low latency video display.
5. Denon AVR-X4700H – Premium Pick
The Denon AVR-X4700H is the most powerful 8K receiver in our review. It comes as a 9.2 channel 8K receiver. Each channel outputs 125 watts of power within the frequency range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz. Its massive power output makes it ideal for feeding very powerful speakers with enough power.
- Advanced HDMI- The receiver comes with the highest number of HDMI inputs in our review. The 8 HDMI inputs allow you to connect several HDMI-compatible devices. You can also connect 3 displays via the 3 HDMI outputs.
- Three-dimensional audio- Another feature that we like about this receiver is its support for three-dimensional audio output. It supports audio technologies such as Height Virtualization, Dolby Atmos, IMAX Enhanced, DTS:X, and DTS Virtual:X. With these audio technologies, expect nothing but 3D surround sound.
- Outstanding clarity- The receiver outputs outstanding picture quality. The color, contrast, and clarity of the video output are extremely outstanding. All HDMI inputs support HDR, BT.2020, HLG, and Dolby Vision among other technologies that enhance picture quality.
- Supports 8K upscaling- You can enjoy viewing copy-protected content with this receiver, thanks to its support for 8K upscaling. For instance, you’ll get to enjoy 4K content in greater quality on a larger screen even though it wouldn’t match with 8K quality.
- Voice control- Another key feature you wouldn’t want to miss in a modern receiver is support for voice control. Fortunately, this receiver supports voice control with Alexa, Apple Siri, Josh.ai, and Google Assistant. It also supports wireless music streaming services.
- Extremely powerful sound output
- Lag-free video games for the best gaming experience
- Eliminates video delay for smoother watching experience
- Supports Wi-Fi connectivity
- Supports Bluetooth and HEOS technology for multi-room speaker connectivity
- Higher price range
If you’re searching for a fully-featured 8K receiver, the Denon AVR-X4700H is the best pick for you. Although it’s available at a higher price range, it offers you everything you’d want in an 8K receiver.
How to Choose the Best 8K Receivers
There’re quite a number of 8K receivers to choose from. Since they’re not made equal, it’ll help to make your choice wisely when shopping. Here’re some tips that can assist you in choosing the best 8K receiver today.
1. Number of HDMI ports
Ensure the receiver comes with both HDMI inputs and HDMI outputs. You’ll need several HDMI inputs to hook several compatible media sources simultaneously and switch between them without plugging them in and out. Also, you’ll need extra HDMI outputs to connect extra displays. Ensure the HDMI ports support the latest standards to allow for compatibility with the latest technologies.
2. Number of channels
The number of channels will largely determine the number of speakers you can hook and power them sufficiently. If you want a rich surround sound experience with many speakers, consider a receiver with more channels.
3. Power output
The power output of the receiver is another major consideration to make. Essentially, the receiver should have several built-in amplifiers to output enough power for every channel. If you’re connecting very powerful home theater speakers, ensure the receiver is powerful enough to feed them with sufficient power.
4. Supported audio and video standards
It is important to ensure the receiver supports the latest audio and video standards. That way, you’ll enjoy the benefits that come with modern standards such as better picture and audio quality than former technologies.
5. Wireless streaming
The receiver should support Bluetooth wireless streaming. That way, you can hook Bluetooth-enabled devices such as smartphones, tablets, and Bluetooth headphones. Also, support for Wi-Fi would be an added advantage to allow you to stream music from online streaming services.
Investing in an 8K receiver would be a wise decision, especially for a movie or gaming lover. With an 8K receiver, you’ll enjoy the best possible video and audio quality today. Hopefully, you’ll find one of the best 8K receivers from our review. Besides, keep the aforementioned tips in mind to help you in making a more informed decision.
Michael Evanchuk is a San Francisco-based sound engineer with 20 years’ experience installing, troubleshooting, and repairing commercial, automotive, and household sound equipment. Evanchuk owns an auto stereo center, where he offers highly competitive car audio installation and repair services. He has written dozens of articles on different sound engineering topics, all of which have been published in leading journals, blogs, and websites.