While most people assume that you can only enjoy bass from large subwoofers and speaker systems, it’s possible to add bass with smaller, compact 6.5 car subwoofers. These subwoofers are specially designed for installation in tight car spaces. They give every music lover a chance to enjoy bass in a car with little space. Despite their small size, the best 6.5 subwoofers deliver decent bass.
Although they may not be capable of delivering earthshaking bass, they add some good rumble to the car music without taking a lot of space. Their low weight and small cone make it possible for these subwoofers to reproduce more accurate and punchy bass. This makes them suitable for anyone who loves listening to crystal clear lows without a boomy sound effect. With that said, let’s guide you through the best 6.5 car subwoofers available in the market today.
Top Five 6.5 Subwoofer Reviews
There’s an overwhelming number of car subwoofer manufacturers. Thus, quality may differ significantly. When shopping for a subwoofer for your car sound system, you need to be sure that you’re making the right choice. After all, you wouldn’t want to gamble with your hard-earned money. We’ve made everything easier for you by reviewing the best 6.5 car subwoofers available today. Read on for honest reviews.
1. Skar Audio EVL-65 D4 6.5 inch
The Skar Audio EVL-65 D4 6.5 inch subwoofer is specially designed to offer powerful and responsive bass while being efficient in power consumption. It has an RMS power rating of 200 watts and a peak power rating of 400 watts.
- Copper voice coil- The subwoofer comes with a 2-inch voice coil made of high-grade pure copper. Pure copper is highly efficient in conducting power for more powerful bass reproduction. Also, the copper voice coil can withstand high temperatures. You can use the subwoofer at full blast for prolonged periods without worrying about overheating issues.
- Ferrite motor- The rather small size of this subwoofer shouldn’t fool you about its performance. It features a powerful 39 Oz ferrite motor. The motor resists demagnetization. It’s able to store a more powerful magnetic field for enhanced efficiency throughout its durable life. Also, the ferrite magnet motor is rust-proof.
- Versatile- Although this subwoofer is relatively small, its small size is a huge advantage over larger subwoofers. Its small size design makes it very versatile. You can use it anywhere a larger subwoofer may not fit. Regardless of how small your car is, it will surely fit.
- Deep cone- The subwoofer is designed with a deep cone. That way, it’s able to move a lot of air despite its small size. Consequently, it’s able to hit lows effortlessly. Also, the cone is made of a high-grade material for longevity.
- Spade terminals- You’ll find it extremely easy to wire the subwoofer to the wiring network, thanks to its spade wire terminals. You can connect the speaker wire with a connector or solder the wire in place.
- Durable rubber surround.
- Dual 4 Ohm voice coil.
- Compact design.
- 82.8 dB sensitivity.
- Durable construction.
- Not loud enough.
- Not the best for use with sealed boxes.
The design and performance behind this Skar Audio EVL-65 D4 6.5 inch subwoofer makes it a great replacement for a stock subwoofer. You will be impressed with how low it will hit.
2. Earthquake Sound SWS-6.5X 6.5-inch
Just like its name suggests, the Earthquake Sound SWS-6.5X 6.5-inch subwoofer is designed to deliver decent bass despite being small in size. It has a power rating of 200 watts RMS and a max power rating of 200 watts.
- Unique spider assembly- The subwoofer is built with a unique NOMEX/ROMEX spider assembly. The spider design allows for linear and stable cone movement. Thus, the driver can reproduce deep lows efficiently.
- Shallow mounting depth- A major benefit of this subwoofer is its shallow mounting depth. The shallow profile design makes it easy to fit the subwoofer in existing factory locations. This makes it less demanding to mount the subwoofer. You won’t have to do any time-consuming work when mounting it.
- Inverted cone design- The subwoofer features an inverted cone design. The main benefit behind this cone design is that it allows for maximum excursion when mounting the subwoofer in tight mounting locations. Also, the inverted cone design enables it to deliver maximum bass output with minimum distortion.
- Well-ventilated basket- The subwoofer comes with a well-ventilated basket. It allows sufficient ventilation to keep the subwoofer cool, especially when using it at its maximum power capacity for prolonged music playtimes.
- Heat sink attachment- Do you like playing loud music for prolonged periods? If so, this is the right subwoofer for you. It comes with a high-temperature voice coil. The voice coil has a heat-sink attachment that assists in keeping it cool. That way, the subwoofer won’t overheat when using it intensively.
- 4-Ohm impedance.
- Available as a pair.
- Punchy bass.
- 1 ¾ inch mounting depth.
- Easy to install.
- Higher price range.
- You may require an adapter ring to mount it in some factory speaker holes.
If your budget is not tight, and you want high-performance 6.5-inch subwoofers, these Earthquake Sound SWS-6.5X 6.5-inch subwoofers will be a great choice for you. After all, they’re sold as a pair despite their high price range.
3. Pyle 6.5 Inch Mid Bass Woofer
Pyle is a renowned brand name in the world of sound systems. The Pyle 6.5 Inch Mid Bass Woofer is designed using the latest sound technologies to give you the best value for your money. It has an RMS power rating of 150 watts, combined with a peak power rating of 300 watts.
- 4-ohm impedance- The subwoofer has a low impedance rating of 4 ohms. Its low impedance compensates for the undersized speaker wire that comes with most cars. It’ll save you money since you won’t have to invest in new speaker wire.
- Rubber magnet boot cover- The magnet is covered with a rubber boot cover. It keeps the magnet protected for a prolonged service life. It also ensures that the magnetic field doesn’t interfere with metallic components of the space it’s mounted. Thus, its entire magnetic strength is dedicated to driving the subwoofer cone.
- 1-inch voice coil- The subwoofer features a 1-inch high-temperature voice coil. It’s able to withstand high temperatures resulting from heavy, prolonged usage. The voice coil, combined with the 30 Oz magnet structure delivers rumbling lows.
- Butyl rubber surround- Another notable feature is its butyl rubber surround. This specially treated surround is high performance. It responds effortlessly to the cone movement. Besides, the treated material is durable and non-fatiguing.
- Poly-injected cone- The yellow subwoofer cone features a poly-injected material for enhanced stiffness while keeping its weight low. It’s designed to offer a sturdy material that allows for the reproduction of distortion-free and crystal clear lows.
- Edge suspension.
- Aluminum voice coil.
- 60 Hz to 20 kHz frequency response.
- Affordable price range.
- Smooth and detailed lows.
- Its bass may be overshadowed by louder car speakers.
- It fails to handle the indicated power rating.
Considering its friendly price range, the Pyle 6.5 Inch Mid Bass Woofer is a great choice for anyone who wants to add decent bass to their car music system at a low budget.
4. LANZAR 6.5 inch Car Subwoofer Speaker
LANZAR 6.5 inch Car Subwoofer Speaker is among the best 6.5 inch subwoofers available today. It boasts of having a peak power of 600 watts. It’s designed to deliver mind-blowing bass in a car music system.
- 1.5-inch voice coil- The subwoofer cone is driven by an outstanding 1.5-inch aluminum voice coil. The aluminum material is lightweight and is moved effortlessly by the generated magnetic field. Also, the voice coil is high temperature such that it doesn’t burn out easily on heavy usage.
- Stamped steel basket- Its heavy-duty stamped steel basket is worth talking about. It’s built to keep the subwoofer components stable for noiseless bass reproduction. Furthermore, its heavy-duty build keeps the subwoofer components safe from damage.
- Heavy-duty magnet- Another reason why you’d want to choose this subwoofer is its heavy-duty 40 Oz magnet. The magnet is powerful enough to push the subwoofer to its maximum power rating of 600 watts.
- Foam edge suspension- The subwoofer comes with a foam edge suspension. The suspension is specially treated for enhanced durability. Additionally, its rubber surround is non-fatiguing for enhanced bass reproduction.
- Non-pressed cone- The kind of bass you get from a subwoofer is partly dependent on the kind of cone making up the subwoofer. LANZAR 6.5 inch car sub features a non-pressed paper cone. The cone is able to reproduce powerful lows.
- Rubber magnet boot cover.
- Corrosion-resistant voice coil.
- 87dB sensitivity.
- 80Hz frequency.
- 3-inch mounting depth.
- They distort at high volume.
- The RMS power rating is not indicated.
The LANZAR 6.5 inch Car Subwoofer Speaker has what it takes to deliver clean, powerful bass in any car music system. You can also install it in your RV or boat.
5. Pyramid WX65X
The Pyramid WX65X is yet another affordable but powerful 6.5-inch car subwoofer. It’s packed with the ability to deliver 150 watts RMS and 300 watts peak power. Thus, you can play loud music without worrying about distortion.
- Kapton voice coil- The subwoofer comes with a 1-inch Kapton voice coil. The voice coil is designed to reproduce more detailed lows with reduced distortion and coloration. Additionally, the voice coil is high temperature for optimum performance under heavy load.
- Polypropylene cone- Pyramid has specially designed this subwoofer with a polypropylene injected cone. It’s highly dampened and reasonably rigid to keep distortion low. Its breakup is controlled, thereby resulting in smoother lows.
- 40 Oz magnet structure- Another key feature of this subwoofer is its powerful heavy-duty motor. The 40 Oz magnet delivers a powerful magnetic field to drive the voice coil. Also, its heavy-duty structure gives the subwoofer a strong foundation.
- Treated rubber edge suspension- The subwoofer features a specially treated rubber edge suspension. The suspension is designed to deliver more solid lows for the best bass experience in a car sound system.
- Vented motor structure- Another key feature of this subwoofer is its vented motor structure. The venting enhances air circulation throughout the subwoofer components. Thus, the components remain cool to prevent overheating.
- Easy to install.
- Affordable price range.
- 2.76-inch mounting depth.
- Bumped yoke plate.
- 87.1 dB and 4-ohm impedance.
- The lead wires require special handling to avoid shorting.
- Sounds static at high volume.
- Doesn’t come with mounting hardware or template as indicated on the box.
The Pyramid WX65X subwoofer stands out for its distortion-free bass reproduction. It’s a great choice for anyone who wants an affordable 6.5 inch subwoofer with clear lows.
Tips for Choosing the Best 6.5 Subwoofer
As you can see from the above reviews, you’re certain that you can get a 6.5 car sub that will suit your needs. However, there’re certain factors you need to put into consideration when shopping. These factors will largely determine the overall performance of the subwoofer you’ll choose. Let’s discuss these factors in detail.
1. Power Rating
One of the most crucial factors to consider when choosing a subwoofer is its power rating. This is a factor you shouldn’t fail to check keenly. Typically, you’ll find two types of power ratings. These ratings are the RMS power rating and the maximum power rating. The RMS power rating is more important than the maximum power rating.
The RMS power rating represents the continuous amount of power that the subwoofer can handle. A higher RMS rating, in watts, means that the subwoofer can be able to handle more power continuously. On the other hand, the maximum power rating, also known as peak power, is the amount of short power bursts that a subwoofer can handle. Short power bursts are only temporary. Thus, give the RMS rating a higher priority.
2. Construction Materials
The kind of materials used to construct the subwoofer will largely determine its performance and durability. For instance, ensure the cone is made of a rigid but lightweight material to keep distortion low. Also, ensure the surround is made of a durable material.
The voice coil should comprise of a high-temperature material to withstand heavy usage without burning out. Also, ensure the magnet is strong enough to deliver a stronger magnetic field for more powerful lows.
3. Mounting Depth
You’re probably searching for a 6.5-inch car sub due to insufficient space in your car. For this reason, consider a speaker with a lower mounting depth. That way, you’ll find it easier to mount the subwoofer in tight locations.
4. Subwoofer Basket Venting
Another important feature to check is whether the subwoofer basket is sufficiently vented. Sufficient venting will allow for maximum air circulation throughout the subwoofer components. Proper air circulation is important to keep the subwoofer components cool, especially when playing music for several hours.
5. Ease of Installation
You’ll definitely appreciate a subwoofer that requires less effort to install. For instance, a subwoofer that can be mounted in a factory location will make the installation work entirely easier since you won’t have to cut out a new mounting hole. Also, the terminals for attaching speaker wire should be properly positioned for easier wire attachment.
Regardless of how small your car might be, or you lack sufficient space to install large subwoofers, you can still enjoy decent bass by investing in one of the best 6.5 subwoofers. Remember to consider the aforementioned factors when making your choice. Besides, we’ve reviewed 6.5 subs of all price ranges. Thus, regardless of your budget, you’ll find a subwoofer that can meet your needs from our reviews.
Michael Evanchuk is a San Francisco-based sound engineer with 20 years’ experience installing, troubleshooting, and repairing commercial, automotive, and household sound equipment. Evanchuk owns an auto stereo center, where he offers highly competitive car audio installation and repair services. He has written dozens of articles on different sound engineering topics, all of which have been published in leading journals, blogs, and websites.